Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet M551
macOS 10.12 Sierra

After downloading and unpacking the latest firmware update, two files are available:  

cljM551_fw_2308214_000927_MD5_Checksum.txt;  and

cljM551fw_2308214_000927.bdl

The latter one, with the .bdl extension will not open.  When double-clicking the file, Adobe Acrobat opens and gives the following error:

Adobe Acrobat could not open 'cljM551fw_2308214_000927.bdl' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. Then choose Save as Adobe PDF from the PDF dropdown in the Print dialog.

I had expected the .bdl file would be an executing file that runs firmware upgrade, and I don't understand (a) why Adobe Acrobat is opened; and (2) why i'm stuck on this error.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Yosef

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Yosef,

Please follow the Installation Instructions within its README below:

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

The are are few methods to update the firmware such as importing the firmware file from the printer homepage or by using a USB Stick to load the firmware, none should be done from the Mac...

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. The link you have listed shows up as does not exist.

The expanded Firmware file (BDL) is saved on a USB stick.

How do I open or run it to upgrade the frimware on my Officejet Cloro Flow X585?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

The 551 is a special case. To upgrade with a USB stick you must follow this method. Power off the printer and then remove the formatter by undoing two thumbscrews.  The formatter is where the network or USB cable plugs in. On the formatter you will see two USB ports. Insert a stick with the .BDL file on it. Replace the formatter into the printer. Power on the printer and when all three lights turn on,  press the cancel button. This will start printer in pre-boot mode.  Use the keyboard pad to scroll to administrator option and press ok. Then find the download option and press ok. Select USB thumb drive and press ok. The new firmware file will show, press ok again to accept and it will be downloaded.  When it completes, use back arrow until continue is displayed then press ok. Printer will restart and install the firmware. Once unit has finished and you have verified that upgrade was succesful, turn printer off and remove the USB stick.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Excellent description - - however I think it is for a different printer.

The printer on which I am trying to update the Firmware is Officejet Enterprise Color Flow MFP X585Z.

Thank you for you complete description, but . .

HP Recommended

I PM'd you the alternate instructions for the X585 series, which has the same update method as any of the Enterprise MFP's.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.