Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 7640

i have windows 10 (which i hate because it's so different from EVERYTHING i've used since mid-80's). i want to add my scanner icon to the desktop rather than go thru settings constantly which always seem to change.  unsure if i have windows 32-bit or 64-bit or IOT or s-mode. it's an  hp 7640 multi-function printer/scanner, & the printer shows up as available from wifi, but the scanner isn't.  if i try to use windows scan it tells me to connect device, but the DEVICE is already connected to my wifi just not the scanner function.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@foxfieldmega, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you are unable to scan after updating Windows or upgrading to Windows 10, remove the printer software, and then reinstall the latest driver.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, if it is connected.

NOTE: 

Do not remove your printer from the wireless network.

2. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

3. Under Programs or Programs and Features, click Uninstall a program to open the list of installed programs.

4. Click the name of your HP printer to open the uninstall confirmation window, and then click Yes to remove the software.

5. Make sure the printer is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main input tray.

6. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, type your printer model, and then click Download next to the full feature driver under Driver-Product Installation Software.

Click Download next to the full feature driver

7. Follow the instructions to download and install the driver or app. During installation, make sure you select the Full Feature software option, and then follow the steps to set up the printer connection.

Try scanning.

Refer to the document HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows) to learn about the alternate scanning methods.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@foxfieldmega, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If you are unable to scan after updating Windows or upgrading to Windows 10, remove the printer software, and then reinstall the latest driver.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, if it is connected.

NOTE: 

Do not remove your printer from the wireless network.

2. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

3. Under Programs or Programs and Features, click Uninstall a program to open the list of installed programs.

4. Click the name of your HP printer to open the uninstall confirmation window, and then click Yes to remove the software.

5. Make sure the printer is turned on, cartridges are installed, and plain paper is loaded in the main input tray.

6. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, type your printer model, and then click Download next to the full feature driver under Driver-Product Installation Software.

Click Download next to the full feature driver

7. Follow the instructions to download and install the driver or app. During installation, make sure you select the Full Feature software option, and then follow the steps to set up the printer connection.

Try scanning.

Refer to the document HP Printers - How to Scan (Windows) to learn about the alternate scanning methods.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for your response!!!  i'm looking forward to trying it tomorrow!

HP Recommended

@foxfieldmega

Sure, keep me posted.

Thanks!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i went into the settings and removed the printer.  when i went to add it, it asked me for a PIN number which it said i could find on the printer.  how do i find it?

HP Recommended

@foxfieldmega

Is it the WPS pin?

If no, share the screenshot of the screen that pops up.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it was very weird.  i got that message once, but the next time i tried, it didn't give me that message.  thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

@foxfieldmega

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Cheers!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.