Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I tried @PDX_PRNT_PRBLM 's fix and it is telling me it can't find the path specified, I can't see what I've done wrong.

I renamed the rfu file to make it more idiot proof to copy (still with rfu extension), and moved file to root directory to make it simpler too.

Any suggestions? This was the exact command I used at the c: prompt:

copy /b M254_20200612.rfu\\DESKTOP-N77Q8QMQ\HP_Laserjet_m254

Currently I don't have an HP cartridge to put in (it's the black run out) as had been using a OEM cartridge for a while, so it is in Supply Problem state when I try. As with others, HP if you're paying attention, this will be last HP product of any kind I'll buy, so you are shooting yourself in the foot.

HP Recommended

Jazzuk777,

I didn't use the method you described below, but for that to work, you likely need to add a space to your command like before the double slash ("\\") to distinguish between the source file and target paths. Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but where does that need to go? 

HP Recommended

Again, I downloaded the app instead of doing this on the command line, but assuming what you shared before was correct, you needed to insert the space between "rfu" and "\\" as below.

copy /b M254_20200612.rfu \\DESKTOP-N77Q8QMQ\HP_Laserjet_m254

HP Recommended

Thanks for your patience - between that and realising I had mistyped slightly my laptop name in the command I got it to try the update but it fails saying incorrect firmware!

If you have an answer to fix this I will be your best buddy 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi Jazzuk777,

I'd suggest going back through some of the older posts on the board where you can find some files that might help. One site that might help is this one. 

It appears that they're selling aftermarket toner and have a vested interest in getting the printer to work with non-HP toner.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks, the Ghost site only has the exe installer not the RFU file though, that was the first thing that I tried. I'm thinknig I might have to get hold of a partially used HP cartridge maybe to get it to work.   😞 

thanks anyway

HP Recommended

I did eventually managed to downgrade my firmware. HOwever it still won't take my unused third party cartridges

I am not happy

HP Recommended

The same happened in Greece on 14th January 2021. Thanks, ThierryB68. Just to add that the downgrade worked through Wi-Fi. Please note that after the upgrade the problem continues for a couple of minutes and then the new firmware takes control and everything is back to normal. I think the behavior of HP is unfair, if not illegal. 

HP Recommended

If anyone comes to this page for the m254nw printer, the dw firmware didn't work for me.

I found someone on Reddit who shared the nw firmware though, won't paste a link since it will be deleted anyway. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.