Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet m254dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My m254dw asked for a firmware update today, I accepted, and now my compatible toner is rejected and I can't print anymore! It worked perfectly before of course, for months and months, and I have 3 new in box for the colors!

I completely understand that there was a warning about this before, that it voided the warranty, etc, etc... but this was my own choice. Blocking this suddenly without any other warning is totally unacceptable, especially at the moment when working fully in home office due to Covid..

I tried to downgrade the firmware to the previous 2019 version I still had, firmware seems to be sent to the printer , but it doesn't work, printer stays in the 2020/10 version.

Is there a way to fix this, maybe by forcing a downgrade? (and no, I will certainly NOT buy genuine toners now, and anyway the price of the 4 is higher than the new printer... nonsense).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, so here's the solution thanks to user Andy_p2 and tests I did.

• Connect the printer to the PC via USB, downgrade won't work through Wi-Fi
  • on the printer, go into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates
    • set Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes
  • on the pc, download and run HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.exe
    • it was available on HP's UK site for the printer, but both US and UK sites only have 20201021 now
    • Printer will downgrade to this firmware version, takes a while and a pair of reboots
  • on the printer, go into the printer's Setup | Service | LaserJet Update | Manage Updates
    • set Allow Updates = no (so the firmware doesn't auto-update and break compatibility again)

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63
HP Recommended

OK, so here's the solution thanks to user Andy_p2 and tests I did.

• Connect the printer to the PC via USB, downgrade won't work through Wi-Fi
    • set Allow Downgrade = yes, Allow Updates = yes
  • on the pc, download and run HP_Color_LaserJet_Pro_M254_dw_Printer_series_20200612.exe
    • it was available on HP's UK site for the printer, but both US and UK sites only have 20201021 now
    • Printer will downgrade to this firmware version, takes a while and a pair of reboots
    • set Allow Updates = no (so the firmware doesn't auto-update and break compatibility again)
HP Recommended

The link does not work for me, but I solved the problem another way. My solution was to swap the chip from a HP cartridge into my non-HP cartridge. How to swap is not obvious, but I found instructions via searching  the web (found as part of a cartridge for sale listing on Amazon).  HP is not upfront about trying to block non-HP cartridges and help you figure out what is going on. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue as many of you have noted, my M254dw suddenly has a "Supply Problem" with my aftermarket black toner after updating to the 10/21/2020 firmware. Everything has been just fine with this printer for 2 years now. I have HP original color cartridges that are not affected by this. I ordered several aftermarket cartridges from Amazon, and SURPRISE, none of them work. If anyone has a previous firmware for this printer, PLEASE message me. HP has removed all the other prior firmware for all of its sites, including international support sites.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!!!

Your instructions were spot on! I am printing again!!

Thank you!  Thank you!

HP Recommended

I found another place to download the firmware, if anyone needs it.

Have a look on this page:  https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/firmware-update-warning/

HP Recommended

Hey there Andy, I would really appreciate some help.  I have been looking for the firmware download for the previous version and woudl appreciate any help at all.  Thanks so much

HP Recommended

I had success downloading it yesterday, and just checked again today at:  11/6/2020 @ 18:22.

The link would not work with Chrome, but I used the Brave browser and it downloaded it no problem.
Post if it doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Thank you for coming back so quickly. I have checked with explorer, chrome and brave and the link is no longer valid.  I would be very grateful if I could get the file somehow. 

HP Recommended

Update: As of 11/13/2020 HP Community Mods have removed the external link to the M280 firmware file that I included in my original post and they have deleted/moved the firmware files from the HP FTP directory where they were available a week ago. Looks like they really want people to buy their toner. 

I found an alternate way to downgrade the firmware from the 20201021 update that breaks the use of non-HP toner cartridges. It isn't as easy as running an installer but it worked the first time and I was back up and running within a few minutes. Definitely give the printer a few minutes to update and restart after copying the file over to the printer. I thought it wasn't doing anything and was going to start pressing buttons. But I waited and eventually the printer restarted itself and showed that it was being reprogrammed.

Since the 20200612 firmware installer is no longer available from HP I was able to use another method using the M280_M281 firmware file (.rfu) from the 20200612 update. As of 11/6/20 @ 5pm PST the 20200612 .rfu file is still available on HPs site using the link below. I've also uploaded the file to a share site in case HP removes it from their public FTP server.

HP FTP Download: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/pfirmware/HP_LaserJet_Pro_M280_M281_Printer_series_2020061... 

I used Firmware Update Method 4 from this HP Support article, HP LaserJet - Update the firmware

Method four: Update the firmware at the control panel using a USB connection

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01711356#WinMethod_Local_FTP_USB  

To update the firmware at the control panel using a USB connection, follow these steps. The steps might vary slightly depending on the version of Windows.
Step one: Identify the computer name
NOTE: 
Before you can send a firmware upgrade through the USB port, you need to know the name of the computer to which the printer is connected.
  1. Open System Tools or Administrative Tools, and then select System Information.
  2. In the right pane, the computer name displays next to System Name.
  3. Take note of this name to use in subsequent steps.
Step two: Share the connected printer
NOTE: 
Before you can send a firmware upgrade through the USB port, you need to enable printer sharing.
  1. Open Printers and Faxes or Printers & scanners.
  2. Enable sharing of the printer.
    • Click Manage, click Printer Properties, click the Sharing tab, select the Share this printer check box, and then click OK. OR
    • Right-click the printer to which you want to send the upgrade, select Sharing… , select the Share this printer option, type a name such as "HP LaserJet", and then click Apply.
Step three: Update the firmware using a USB connection
  1. Open a Command Prompt window.
  2. Click MSDOS Prompt and locate the directory where you saved the firmware file.
  3. Type copy /b filename \\computer name\share name. For example: copy /b ljXXXXmfpfw_0X.00X.X.rfu \\computer1\HP LaserJet.
  4. Press Enter.
    NOTE: 
    This can take about five minutes. Do not interact with the printer or the computer during the update process. When the update has finished, the printer will reboot.
  5. Wait for the printer to automatically reboot and activate the firmware update.
  6. When the printer returns to a Ready state, print a configuration page and verify that the new firmware has been installed.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.