Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi, I just changed my "Tower Computer" for a more modern one. I've tried to download drivers for my old printer an hp Photosmart 7762, without success. I've  tried the website support.hp.com/drivers but all it does is show me videos on how to install drivers but no link to actually download the drivers. Maybe my printer it just to old! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Johnboy991,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Given the age of the HP Photosmart 7762, it's possible that official support and driver downloads from HP have been discontinued or are not easily accessible. Here are some steps you can try to get your printer working with your new computer:

1. Use Windows Built-in Drivers

Many printers, especially older models, can work with the generic drivers that come pre-installed with Windows. Here's how you can try to use these:

1. Connect your printer to the computer and turn it on.
  2. Open Settings: Go to Start > Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
  3. Add a printer: Click on "Add a printer or scanner" and let Windows search for your printer. It might automatically detect it and install the necessary drivers.

2. Compatibility Mode for Older Drivers

If you have access to older drivers (perhaps from a CD that came with the printer), you can try installing them in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver for an older version of Windows (if you can find it).
  2. Right-click the installer file and select Properties.
  3. Go to the Compatibility tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select an older version of Windows (e.g., Windows 7 or Windows XP). It will only work with windows 8 or above.
  4. Run the installer and follow the prompts.

3. Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

HP provides a utility called HP Print and Scan Doctor that can sometimes resolve driver issues and install the correct drivers:

1. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor from the HP support site.
  2. Run the utility and follow the instructions to diagnose and fix driver issues.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.