Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My friends and comrades who have long suffered at the inexcusable new lows of HP skullduggery and treacherous vendor lock in, I bring you good tiding of hope in these dark times!   
(Oh and yes you will need to make one of their ducking stupid HP accounts for this sheite)
.... so....turn the printer off, unplug for a minute............ "jebus a whole minute?" ...... turn on, wait for the power light to stop flashing. Plug into an ethernet connection and into another computer on the same subnet where it can search for it......

Verify it's getting an IP on the correct network by holding the information button for five-ish seconds until it prints a Status Report Page...... then....to get another pairing code to print you need to install the "HP EASY START" software which is a different program (AHHHHHHHHHHRRRGGGG!!!!)..... than the "HP Smart" manager that the instructions included with the HP+ series incorrectly direct you to.  AAAAHHHHH!! Here's the current link to the download for HP Easy Start. It will have you "verify proximity" to the printer by hitting the information button when it starts to flash. 
https://123.hp.com/us/en/devices/setup

Then you'll get that MONKEYFIGHTING new pairing code which is only good for two hours.

p.s. I have 14 years of desktop support experience and this is the WORST encounter with a product I have EVER had. Figuring this out took me FIVE HOURS. That's more than the cost of the printer in my hourly rate. We will NEVER buy these again or any other HP for that matter. DUCK THIS DUCKING HP SMART MANAGEMENT SHEITE. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE PRINTERS THROUGH MY OWN GOD DAM PRINT SERVER NOT YOUR VENDOR LOCK-IN BULLSHET THAT SOME **bleep**-HEAD MBA AT CORPORATE THOUGHT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. Fun fact: my father used to work at HP in Palo Alto the 90's when their brand meant something....then he was laid off by Carli and went to Agilent....Goodbye old HP, say hi to Compaq for me........IN HELL!!!

Cheers,

Seemore Buts

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I have to thank you for sharing this information NKILL

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/resetting-printer-to-factory-default-hp...

I have been in IT for 25 years and this has to be one of the most difficult products to support. Overall, end of the day don't even try to setup via WiFi. Connect it to your LAN first, let it grab an IP address, and finalize the final setup and pairing. Once you register the device online with the pairing ID I re-ran the setup with wifi on a laptop on the same WiFi network and it worked flawlessly. 

To be honest the printer is great hardware wise so far, software setup really sucks hard. I can only imagine what their return rate is for this product.

HP Recommended

it doesn't work for me, thanks anyway

HP Recommended

does not reprint the code

HP Recommended

HP technical support is terrible, I have called, I have written and nothing, nobody knows how to solve the problem, they should close technical support. the only answers they have is turn off and on the printer and check that you have paper

HP Recommended

Agreed. They're worthless. 

Try going through my instructions one more time.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/resetting-printer-to-factory-default-hp...

It's critical to do every step, including installing that different "HP EASY START" program first, which is not the same as the normal "HP Smart" software that manages the printers once they've been installed. Download here:
https://123.hp.com/us/en/devices/setup
Using a hardline ethernet cable connection to the printer along with a computer connected to the same subnet is also critical. Best of luck. If you can't figure it out just return that POS for a printer with sensible software.

HP Recommended

I really appreciate your help, I am IT from a school and I have 20 hp 3001dwe, 18 activated fine, but I have 2 that did not activate and they do not print the activation code again, I already did what you tell me many times, it I turn off, remove the current, wait a minute, connect the current, turn it on, connect it to ethernet, run HP EASY START on a PC in the same subnet and when I should send the code to print it tells me that it is ready to open HP SMART When I access the printer via the web, it keeps telling me that it needs the pairing code.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.