Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp 8610 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an issue with my Hp printer 8610, after purchasing the printer I set it up and started printing, when the cartridges became empty, I disposed them and I'm planning to buy new ones, however the printer has been resetted through setting (semi-Full reset) by my brother, Now every time I try to setup the printer again the printer is asking for the ink cartridges that came with it which I obviously don’t have.

Is there any way I can setup my printer without ink cartridges as I want to use the Scanner.

will new ink cartridges help me in setting up the printer or I need special setup cartridges?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Short_Circuit89,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that after running the Semi-Reset on the printer, now you are getting the message to "put in the original cartridges". I would like to help you.

I would do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

You can try the steps in this document to see if they may help with this situation:  A 'Cartridge Missing' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays.

If the issue continues, please contact  HP Customer Support to inquire about setup cartridges. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" to thank me for my efforts! If this helps you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution". 
Keep me posted. Good Luck!
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello,

Please follow this steps

On the bottom left side of the printer control panel where the Return icon displays, touch the area four (4) times (the Return icon will not display).
Touch Support Menu.
Touch the right arrow three (3) times until the System Configuration menu displays, and then press OK.
Press OK in the TradeatOOBE mode screen.
Press OK until the screen reads Trade.
Press the red X four (4) times until the Home screen displays.
NOTE: The ink gauge will not show 100% full after initialization for the non-SETUP cartridge.
Replace the customer's defective cartridge with a trade (not SETUP) cartridge.

I am an HP Employee

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an issue with my Hp photosmart 7520 printer. i bought an open box and i dont have the setup cartridge . i am unable to set up the prinert.  every time I try to setup the printer again the printer is asking for the ink cartridges that came with it which I obviously don’t have. please help .

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

On the bottom left side of the printer control panel where the Return icon displays, touch the area four (4) times (the Return icon will not display).
Touch Support Menu.
Touch the right arrow three (3) times until the System Configuration menu displays, and then press OK.
Press OK in the TradeatOOBE mode screen. (These steps work fine)

Press OK until the screen reads Trade. (this step never happens it appers to only toggle between disable and enable trade supplies)

Red X never appears

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.