Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Dell
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy 4250 which has behaved absolutely impeccably, until today.

When I try to scan, it does so but then comes up with an error message "There was a problem loading your Smart Task"  Annoyingly I can see the scan in the backgound, but can't cancel the error and have to close the app.

I have tried everything I could think of, from switching off/on, restarting PC to uninstalling printer and all HP software and reinstalling.  

BUT still the same.  This error does not appear on the Knowledge Base, or in the Forum as far as I can see.

Any ideas as what to try next????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yep,  works very similar to the HP Smart App.  Just a slightly different interface.  Just go to the HP support site https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers put in your printer details and find the most recent Software/Driver bundle.  I use the scan function quite often so I was very frustrated with the error we are receiving.  I assume it is some Windows 10 issue but again the full HP software and new driver works fine for me.  Hope it will for you as well.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Just to clarify - I have no problem printing.  The printer is wi-fi, and has always been so.

Just what happens after the scan completes.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue.  It just started today.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the HP Smart App from the Windows Store.  Then I just went to HP site and downloaded the latest full driver set.  The scan works fine now from the regular HP app.  Just not from the Windows 10 HP Smart App.  If that make sense.  After downloading the new driver it placed a new app on my desktop and that one works fine.  The Windows 10 app from the app store still gives me this same Smart Task Error.    Hope this work around helps. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.  I like to scan to pdf files - is this something you can do from the "Regular App"?

HP Recommended

Yep,  works very similar to the HP Smart App.  Just a slightly different interface.  Just go to the HP support site https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/printers put in your printer details and find the most recent Software/Driver bundle.  I use the scan function quite often so I was very frustrated with the error we are receiving.  I assume it is some Windows 10 issue but again the full HP software and new driver works fine for me.  Hope it will for you as well.

HP Recommended

OK.  It's a mystery since I thought I had actually done all of that yesterday, but I have just re-downloaded and set up - and HP Smart is now working, properly, including pdf files.

So looks like it's resolved.  But why it happened - we may never know!!!!

Thanks

Pam

HP Recommended

I did all that and still having the problem.  :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

I had to do it twice before it worked (magically) for me.  Can't help any more.  Pam

HP Recommended

I still having problems too. So frustrating.

HP Recommended

remove the last microsoft update. this was solved my problem with this error.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.