Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

But then both PC' s have to be turn on, right ?

Otherwise the network will not  connect with the old windows-8 PC, - connected to the printer...right ?

HP Recommended

Correct-- both PCs would need to be on.

HP Recommended

I have now managed to get my printer working.  I uninstalled it from the Printer Set-up and from the USB controller in Device Manager.  A re-install using the Windows default drivers then seemed to fix it.

HP Recommended

I've tried this with no success.  Deleted USB controller for HP PhotoSmart 8100 in Device Manager, then deleted HP8100 printer from printer setup page.  Added printer from printer setup page, printer not found automatically, then added manually after indicating that this is an older printer, selected Update Windows, then selected HP PhotoSmart 8100 series, set up as a local printer, I receive the message that I've successfully set up printer, then click Print a test page, window pops up and say a test page has been sent to your printer,  immediately receive message "Error printing to HP 8100 printer".  This happens every time even when a Level 1, and 2 support technician from Microsoft have taken remote control of my computer and tried the same steps.  I have no idea from this forum if anyone from HP or Microsoft is working on this driver problem because I have talked to at least three friends that have told me that after about  July 1, 2019, and the latest Microsoft Windows 10 automatic update that their printers have mysteriously quit working.  

HP Recommended

Same for me, - not possible to fix that… - The driver is not working

HP Recommended

Downloaded the driver for the 6980 from Microsoft Update Catalog (http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=hp+deskjet), assigned to the printer. When printing, the job starts, in the queue I see how the data flows, job ends, no failure - but NO printing.

HP Recommended

This annoyed the heck out of me for a little bit, but I found a pretty easy fix.

In Device Manager, open up Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Find the 8100 Series device 

Click on Update Driver

Choose USB Composite Device

Then go to classic Control Panel and find the printer - it should just be there and you are good to go.

LMK if this helped.

HP Recommended

I went through every troubleshooting option with no success.  Four computers, two HP 8150 printers.  HP help guy Steve informs me that HP no longer supports the 8150 printer so drivers are not available on the latest Windows update.  He did suggest that HP has many newer models I could buy.  Best Buy had a sale on Epson Workforce Pro WF-3720 for $79 which is about the cost of the cartridges included.  Printer works fine.  I'm going to try my perfectly good 8150 on an old computer still running Windows 7.  Looks like we're getting old.

HP Recommended

Wow, Thanks! this worked!!!

@patmaraj wrote:

This annoyed the heck out of me for a little bit, but I found a pretty easy fix.

In Device Manager, open up Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Find the 8100 Series device 

Click on Update Driver

Choose USB Composite Device

Then go to classic Control Panel and find the printer - it should just be there and you are good to go.

LMK if this helped.

HP Recommended

Thank you I did as you told me and printer spit out test page on first try. Everyone needing the 8150 fix needs to use this method. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.