Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently installed a Google Mesh Wifi in my home.  My printer cannot be found on the network because it treats the different mesh nodes as different WiFi SSIDs (with the same SSID name) so the PC might be connected to one node whereas the printer is connected to another.  It is not possible to manually connect the pc to a different node as you dont know which node you are connected to (which is the point of having a mesh wifi in the first place)

Do you know of any solution to this please

thanks

Bruce

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Broooz wrote:

Thanks - but I am not sure whether this refers to the router or to the primary node of the google mesh.  According to the google app,

router LAN  address 192.168.86.1

DHCP address pool 192.168.86.20 to 250

This is very helpful but I think i need a tutorial in what all these mean - DHCP etc,

thanks very much

Bruce

Great.  Smart of Google to leave you some Static IP room.

Simple... set the printer to a Static IP of 192.168.86.10.   Done.  See... it's outside your DHCP range.  Just Google DHCP and start your learning process!  As you can see your router is already at a static IP because it is outside the DHCP range like all routers are.

Networking is simple... networking is fun! 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

OK.  We are in a learning curve now folks.  I have no experience with Mesh Networks.  So maybe someone else can help here.

Let's get the basics.   Need IP addresses.

IP address of the router?

IP address of your computer?

IP address of your printer?

Maybe this will shed some light.

HP Recommended

@Broooz

Reminder:  Your Wireless protocol must be set to WPA2

Devices incompatible with Google Wifi

Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password (Windows)

Wireless Printer Setup (Windows)

Get Help from Google

Contact Information, Forum, Twitter, and Learning Center:

Need help? Find answers to your Google Wifi questions

Reference

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers and Software, Videos, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, and more

HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer series

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the links.  I already use WPA2. The Google devices incompatible might explain it.  They say 

about SkyBell - Unfortunately, SkyBell cannot connect to your Google Wifi network. This is because Google Wifi creates a single network that uses both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. SkyBell only connects to 2.4GHz networks. When there is a single network spanning both bands, SkyBell is unable to connect to the 2.4GHz network. 

I wonder if that is a possible reason?  I have aproblem using screen mirroring with my TV which doesnt support 5GHz. But I tried turning off 5GHz which didnt solve it.

When I followed the troubleshooting from HP the only thing that I got was "Other networks detected matching your network name".  This is not surprising as the mesh sets each node to have the same name which is ideal as you can move around your house without reconnecting to different networks.  This works seamlessly for my laptop, phone, tablet etc but seem to cause a problem for the printer.  It think its connected to WiFi but it wont accept communications from another node.

Hopefully someone knows a solution to this or will HP solve it. 

Does anyone know if it is a problem with other printers or just this one?

thanks

HP Recommended

Still waiting for IP addresses.

HP Recommended

Sorry, please can you explain how the ip address is going to help - I dont imagine you will see anything past my firewall anyway?

regards

Bruce

HP Recommended

To see if you are on the same subnet.

Internal IPs are no secret.  Over 80 million people have the exact same IPs in their house.  Simple Networking.  It you  don't want to supply the 192.168.1.100 or whatever you have, call Google to fix it.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I meant the external ip address.

The printer was on 192.168.0.8; I just moved it and it went to 192.168.86.94

Not certain if I have got my laptop or not - I got 192.168..86.30/24 as the IPV4 address in network properties  - I also get this by doing ipconfig

How do you suggest I get the ip address of the router - I think it is the google node I need?

Since I moved the printer to 86.94 it connected ok. So I am guessing I am now on the same node as the printer but how do I force that to happen in future or even better how do I get the printer to recognise devices on any node?

thanks

HP Recommended

Open a Command Prompt window.

Type in "ipconfig'

Post the results.  Need Default Gateway address.

Just trying to gather data.  Not sure if I can help...

HP Recommended

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.