Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago, after a Window 10 auto update, my computer kept crashing to the blue screen of death whenever it was inactive for about 10 minutes. I asked a MS online expert to advise and he suggested starting the computer in safe mode. but when I tried to do this the computer would not accept my passwords so I was unable to start it at all. The next day, I spent about 8 hours in conversation with a technician in the Philippines, who eventually resolved the start-up problem.

However, after this my printer would not work at all. so I spent all day yesterday trying to resolve this problem with the help of advice from posts on this forum. I tried everything that I could find on the subject, including twice clearing the computer of all HP files and re-installing but although I have been successful to a point, the printer still isn't installed correctly.

I found that when I ran set-up, each time it did not assign a port to the printer so I had to configure a TCP/IP port as the WSD Port would not allow me to configure it. Once that was done, I could access the printer via the IP address and once I had cleared the Off-Line check, I could also print via Word but still the HP software does not find the printer and will not connect with it on the network even though it shown as connected on the printer network test results and is shown as connected when I click on the Internet access icon.

So, now I am able to print wirelessly but only scan with the usb cable connected,

I have tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor but although it sees a problem, it is unable to solve it.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me please? I have to say that I am not very computer savvy but I can follow directions.

Cheers, Michael

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Plaviator

Welcome to HP support community.

Check Windows Image Acquisition settings

1. In Windows, search for and open View local services.

2. In the Services window, scroll down the list and find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Look at the Status and Startup Type values.

• If the status is Started or Running and the Startup Type is Automatic, WIA is running correctly. Skip to the next step.

Making sure WIA Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic

• If the status is Disabled or no status displays, right-click Windows Image Acquisition (WIA), click Properties, click the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu, and then click Start.

If the Start button is grayed out, go back to the Services menu, make sure Remote Procedure Call, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and DCOM Server Process Launcher are running and set as Automatic, and then start WIA.

You an refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for your reply to my query.

I have checked WIA and it is running  and automatic is selected.

In the Printer set-up if I select to connect to the printer by USB cable then I can print and scan but If I select connect by network, the application finds the printer but cannot connect complete the WiFi connection even though the printer is already connected to the network

HP Recommended

Hello Sandytech,

I am still having this problem despite trying everything that has been suggested.

Today I deleted the printer from my devices and used Print and Scan Doctor to reinstall it. All seemed to go well and I was informed that  it was connected but when I try to use the print and scan utility on my desktop, it always comes back as printer not found. If I then plug in the usb cable it all works properly.

If I go to Control Panel, devices and printers, click on my printer and select properties, then click print test page, it prints wirelessly.

I am totally baffled. All this has happened since a Windows 10 update last week.

HP Recommended

@Plaviator

Check for windows update again. Reboot the PC.

Run this version of HP Print and Scan doctor

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Restart the Network devices

1. Turn off the Router, Printer, and the computer/ mobile devices.
  2. Wait for 60 seconds.
  3. Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
  4. Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
  5. Turn on the computer/ mobile devices.

Restore the network settings and reconnect the printer to the network

Refer to this document to know how.

• Make sure the printer and the PC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar,

Thank you for your reply to my query.

I followed your instructions, checking for Windows updates, there were none. I then downloaded the Print and scan doctor from your link and ran it. It found 4 HP printers, One Deskjet 2000 series USB and another the same but with the address: 192.168.1.10. The other two were Officejet printers that I have not intentionally installed. I selected the one with the port address and then I had a message saying that this printer was not set as the default printer and do I want it set as default. I click on yes but nothing happens and the doctor will not then proceed.

Regards, Michael

HP Recommended

Hello again Kumar,

I followed the next step, shutting everything down and restarting after a period, in the order you said. The printer found the network on it's own without me pressing the WPS button on the router.

After restarting the computer and trying to scan a document, I get the message " The HP Deskjet 2600 was not found"

HP Recommended

@Plaviator

• If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • The printer works only on a 2.4GHz network and the PC should be on the same network.

Print a Network Configuration Page

On the printer's control panel, press the Wireless button  and the Information button  at the same time.

Both a Network Configuration Page and a Wireless Network Test Report print.

Obtain the IP address of the printer from these reports.

Add the printer using TCP/IP port

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
  2. Search Windows for devices and printers, and then select Devices and Printers from the list of results.
  3. Click Add a printer.
  4. If necessary, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer. (else skip this step)
  5. Click The printer that I want isn't listed.
  6. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.
  7. Select TCP/IP Device in the Device type drop-down menu.
  8. Type the printer IP address in the Hostname or IP address box. 
  9. Deselect the 'Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use' box, and then click Next.
  10. On the Install the printer driver window, click Windows Update.
  11. After the update completes, select HP in the Manufacturer list, select your printer in the Printers list, and then click Next.
  12. Try printing.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!​​​​​​​

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again Kumor,

The printer has produced the reports and it shows that all is connected as it should be with no problems found.

It is just that the HP utility does not find  the printer so I am unable to print or scan from the utility unless I connect the usb cable.

Regards, Michael

If it would be a help, I can scan the report and send it to you

HP Recommended

@Plaviator

I understand that the printer is on the network and the PC is able to communicate with it. However, you are not able to print from the PC to the printer. This could be an issue with the printer driver compatibility. Hence, installing the printer using TCP/IP port may help.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.