Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My printer is on, and connected to the router with a cable. But if i try to print  the computer says that the printer is offline. If I try to install again and ask the computer to find the printer it does not find it. IT has worked perfectly before. 

Did already took out al cords and put it back. Pushed on and off. The wifi is working but I cannot solve the problem..... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Sylviamusch

It might just well be that the software and OS, there are some unwanted files.

Don't attempt if you are not comfortable.

Thanks for choosing HP!

Have a nice day!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums. Can you try the following:

Please Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor (PSDR) tool to diagnose and fix your problem

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e016-1&h_keyword=dg-PDU

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Dear Dean, 

Thank you for your help. 

I have connected the printer with a usb cable and installed the printer-doctor. He installed something... for the printer. 

Now I am one step further; I can print, but only with the USb cable. 

So there will be something with the wificonnection? Wifi is doing good. The cable is connected between the router and the printer and it used to work wireless with the laptop. 

Do you have any idea how I can solve this problem? 

Indeed for urgent things I can connect via the USB... but......

Hope to hear from you, 

best regards, 

Sylvia 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Spoiler
 The cable is connected between the router and the printer and it used to work wireless with the laptop. 

If the ethernet canle is inserted, then wireless will be disabled.  The printer can only have one Network connection at a time - either Ethernet or Wireless.

Also if you are printing using USB or Ethernet, you will need to select the correct "Printer" based on the connectivity.

Check the default printer under Control Panel > Devices and Printers > HP Officejet 6500 > Right click on the correct printer and make sure it is set as default (chosse the printer you commonly use e.g. USB connected)

Then try printing again, it should be "Online"

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Dear Dean, 

Thank you again for your help. 

I have unplugged al cords. Then first reconnected power, then i put the printer on. Then I put the conncetion cable to the router again in the printer. 

THen i started again my laptop which is wireless now. 

It did not work. 

I checked the printer with the HP printerdoctor software. It said a problem had been solved. When I tried again to print, the message said that there is a defect. Now it does not show offline. But I do not understand it anymore. 

Sometimes dizzling with light grey icons of the printer and dark grey. Can I select also a light grey one? 

Sorry but still I have hope. 

Like I said; it worked when connected with a USB cable but now I would be happy if it can work wireless. The WIFI is okay 

Thanks, 

best regards, 

Sylvia 

HP Recommended

knipselprinter.PNG

print2.PNG

this is what I see...... 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you download and install the FULL feature printer software from HP for your operating system:

The following resource will help you :

http://123.hp.com/us/en/

Key in your printer model, Operating System and download & install the FULL feature software.

Once you have downloaded and installed the FULL feature software, you will be able to print and scan.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Dear Dean, 

Thank you again. The software found the printer. I did use a wireless connection with the printer. 

But during the inventarisation of the software needed it was not going further..... I waited a 10 minutes and tried it again without a result..... the blue line at tje top of the screen (which i did not show here) was proceeded half....... 

pr3.PNG

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try this Uninstaller from Microsoft and then reinstall the FULL feature software again?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I tried the  microsoft program which did not find anything. After that I switched off the laptop, and tried again with the full software you mentioned. Without result. Same problem. Stuck at 50% in the software inventarisation procedure......  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.