Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp psc 950
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the purchase a new PC and going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 my HP PSC 950 printer will only print a few lines before going into error and leaving the page unfinished. I have run HP Print and Scan Doctor and all is good with one exception, I'm told that the wrong printer port is configured. Any suggestions what to do?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SVED 

Product introduced in 2001

The printer is not supported in Windows 10 except for the basic print functions provided in the Windows print drivers.

Category Software and Drivers > directs you to the following "how to" document:

HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Observation (could be wrong):

In the past, the Print Doctor (at least in my limited experience) does not handle the complete lack of drivers for a printer.  The fact that the software is finding a port issue may be an improvement in detection properties - or it may just indicate confusion in the Doctor program.

From the Specifications

The HP PSC 900 series is a USB only product and is USB 2.0 compliant. There is no parallel port.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help and learn how to use your Printer

Clarification of terms and "what the printer can do" (Specifications)

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP PSC 950 All-in-One Printer series

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply.

I did find a later driver for HP PSC 950. dated 2012-08-13 and ver. 7.00.25. I did an update in my Laptop  (Lenovo) having Windows 10 and the printer did work! I have only checked the printing part of HP PSC 950 and I Will try to do the same for my PC.

HP Recommended

@SVED 

You are welcome.

Save that driver - it is "golden".  Smiling.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I have just tried the driver 7.0.0.25 in my PC (ACER  Aspire XC-886) having Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I first uninstalled  the driver and installed it again.  The first print out of a test page was OK, but the second page was only half the page printed and an error message given. So unfortunately  the function is not OK for the PC but  OK for the Laptop. A solution to this problem is appreciated.

Kind regards

SVE

HP Recommended

@SVED 

Rats.

You are perhaps back to using the HP solution to add the Windows print drivers.

Reminder:  Windows print drivers "print" - they do not scan.

HP Document:  HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Example – Add a Printer

Reminders: 

• If using a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, disconnect the cable before you start the procedure. Connect the cable only when instructed or after the drivers are installed (at the “Finish”).
  • If a “USB port” option is not listed as available, select the LPT port. Connect the cable after the procedure is completed, (and if necessary) Restart the computer and log in

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Add a Printer

Click The printer that I want isn’t listed

Click Add a Local or Network Printer with manual settings

Click Next

Choose Printer Port

1. Select Use an existing port
  2. Select first LPT port in list or for USB select (if available in list) USB port

OR (if having connection / OS WSD issues)

(Contributed by

ShlomiL – Thread:  Add printer port)

1. Select Create a new port
  2. Select Drop-down Menu Type of Port
  3. TCP/IP Port > Enter the IP Address, Enter a name for the port

Install the Printer

1. Left column: HP
  2. Right column: Scroll, search, select (click) printer

If Printer is not found in list:

1. Click Windows Updates
  2. Wait several minutes for list to update
  3. Left column: HP
  4. Right column: Scroll, search, select printer

(Repeat if Necessary) Choose Printer Port

1. Select Use an existing port
  2. Select first LPT port in list or for USB select (if available in list) USB port

OR (if having connection / OS WSD issues)

(Contributed by

ShlomiL – Thread:  Add printer port)

1. Select Create a new port
  2. Select Drop-down Menu Type of Port
  3. TCP/IP Port > Enter the IP Address, Enter a name for the port

Click Yes to “…allow this app to make changes to your device” (UAC)

Optional: Type a printer Name or use the default

Next > Wait for printer software to install …

Next >

Click Share this printer so that others on your network can find and use it

Optional:  Fill in information for printer location and a comment

Optional:  Click Set as the default printer

Optional:  Click to Print a test page > Finish

2020 Year of Rat

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.