Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have been trying to download updated drivers for my M2727nf printer for months. I have tried several computers and even tried on different networks. Unfortunately, it never works. I have called and e-mailed HP but have not received any responses. I see here there are others that have this kind of problem. Some seem to get it to work but I've not seen what anyone has done to fix it.

I have tried multiple files for my M2727 printer as well as random other files. None work so I don't think this has anything to do with what file I pick.

The error: "Unable to download [filename] from ftp.hp.com. The operation timed out."

I have disabled my firewalls and turned off ACP.

I do not seem to have problems with any website other than HP's (e.g. Adobe, MS, Apple, etc).

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Moirty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Enabling Javascript in your browser may resolve the issue.  If not then see this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

What exactly is the link you are having problems with? (Please give an example link.)  Try replacing the ftp:// with http:// in the link.  Some browser setting will prevent downloading from ftp:// links.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

This happens with every driver that I have tried downloading from the HP support website. Specifically, I am trying to download Vista-64 and PCL6 Generic (since Win-7 doesn't yet exist) drivers for my M2727nf printer. An example exists at this website. After selecting the download button, I am asked where to save the file. About a minute later, I get the error. I'm not quite sure how to get the URL for the download link in order to change from ftp to http.

Frustrated, I invested more time troubleshooting yesterday. I called HP. I was told that this thing happens sometimes and suggested that I try a different browser, a different computer and turning off my firewall (all of which I have done many times including again yesterday). She did tell me that she is able to access them easily from her computer so HP apparently does not see the problem. She said she would escalate the problem and somebody would call me back. (Pardon my cynicism but I'm willing to bet that nobody ever calls.)

I then drove to OfficeMax (where I bought the printer). They get the same error. I walked next door to Best Buy and even tried it on an Apple (using Safari, of course) and got the same error. Finally, I IM'd my two children (in different states) and two other friends (yet again in two more states) and they get the same error. I had already tried it on two different computers at work. Frankly, other than people closely related to HP, I've not found anyone that can access drivers from the website (although obviously there must be plenty who can or this would be fixed by now).

I am highly frustrated. I've never had so much problems with such a simple task.

HP Recommended

OK,  for the link you gave this one may work for you.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Wonderful!!!

Yes, that link did work. So, how can I create a similar link myself (for other files that I will need)? I did notice it was still an FTP connection.

And, of course, the big question: Why does the normal method not work?

HP Recommended

Enabling Javascript in your browser may resolve the issue.  If not then see this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem (12/6/10). I was able to download from the website last week. There is DEFINITELY a problem with the HP Drivers and Downloads website. I manage a large test facility and download and upgrade firmware on myriads of HP servers constantly. I download some type of firmware for an HP server almost everyday. I have NEVER had a problem like this before and absolutely NOTHING has changed in my envoronment. Please do not anyone reply with a quick fix. It would be nice if an HP rep would view this forum string and contact the appropriate people to resolve the issue. This needs to be resolved quickly!

Regards

HP Recommended

This is a user to user support forum, not a direct link to HP support.  To make your request actionable please provide a link or two that are currently not working for you, as well as details of the error messages you see.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I have also had problems downloading any drivers from HP. The download appears to start, but then hangs. Strangely, I WAS able to download drivers when working elsewhere, behind a highly restrictive firewall - go figure!

I have found the best solution is to attempt the download to get the file name (eg sp38266.exe) (or look at the page source to get the filename), then use an FTP program to  log in to HPs ftp site as 'anonymous' - navigate to /pub/softpaq and locate the file you are after. Then download with via ftp.

HP Recommended

After much troubleshooting, I finally identified the root cause of my problem to be a software problem with my router. Cisco had a bug in one of its firmware patches. Depending on what rev of router/switch you have, you may have the same problem. An upgrade to the latest software will fix it. The error is documented on Cisco's website. HP's site seemed to be uniquely capable of "exploiting the bug!" :generic:

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.