Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 4530 series
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Hello,

I have had to reinstall the drivers for this unit. It seems like all is well, BUT, I have not been able to print from my MacBook Pro. I can SCAN, but not print (whether thru wi-fi or by, physically, connecting the Mac to the printer. I have spoken to Apple. They spent a bit more tha one hour with me, to no avai.

My Mac is fully up-to-date (10.14.5) and, by trying to download the HP software, I am assuming that it should perform. I have never received any error messages, etc.

I would very much appreciate any ideas anyone may have. Thank you.

Emile

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@enucho

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• What type of document are you trying to print?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents and check if that works, like PDF, Word, Emails or from a browser?
  • What happens when you click on print, does it print a blank sheet or nothing happens?

Also, try to make a Photocopy on the printer and check if that works.

Check the ink levels in the printer:

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels.

Image:  Example of estimated ink levels displaying full ink cartridges.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar. 

Thank you for youy rply and questions and please see my respomses to your questions:

• What type of document are you trying to print? a plain Word document
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents and check if that works, like PDF, Word, Emails or from a browser? Yes, I have
  • What happens when you click on print, does it print a blank sheet or nothing happens? Nothing

Also, try to make a Photocopy on the printer and check if that works.

Check the ink levels in the printer: inke leveis perfect

On the printer control panel, touch the Ink icon  to display the current estimated ink levels.

Here is what is happening:

1. I can scan, but cannot print: when I click on Print, NOTHING happenes. 

2. By using my iPhone or iPad, I can print without problems.

3. After sending my initial messahe, I took the printer and mu Mac to an authorized HP repair store: we spent 40 minutes trying one thing or other. Nothing worked. However, they wondered whether the driver and Firmware have not caught up to Apple's latest update (currently 10.14.5). The repair shop also saw how I could print from my iPhobe.

I would like to add that, yes, my warranty is over, however, when neither HP nor Apple can do about this, it's upsetting.

Thank you, Kumar

HP Recommended

@enucho

Thank you for your response. 

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer only supports 2.4GHz. 
  • The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information.
  • Also, press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Attach the screenshot on your next post.
  • Do you have any Anti-virus program installed on the MAC?

Step 1: Perform a ping test to confirm the connectivity.

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon https://support.hp.com/wps/hp-skp-portlets/document/attachments/162/c02131772.gif  on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost

Note: There should be 0% packet loss

Step 2: Re-install the printer using AirPrint driver

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button  at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar and thanks again for your patience. Please see my responss to your suggestions or questions.

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network. Most of the attempts to solve this problem have been done while the printer and the Mac have been physicaclly connected. In either case, the only thing the printer does, is scam.
  • This printer only supports 2.4GHz.  As far as I can see, nothing has change in the environmet I have been using this printer
  • The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information. This step has already been done by both, Apple (over the phone) and the authorized HP service center.
  • Also, press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Attach the screenshot on your next post. OK
  • Do you have any Anti-virus program installed on the MAC? Yes, I have "Malware by tes" recommended by Apple. This is also one of the tests they made
  • As for  Steps 1 and 2: they have both been tried
  • Following are some screen shots that may help. The first is the one you asked me for. The others are to show you what happens (or not) when I try to install the printer driver
  • The only way I have been able to successfully download and install the driver was by using installing Google Chrome BUT, beyond that nothing. And I come back to one possibility suggested by both Apple as well as the service center: has HP and/or Apple fixed the printer firmware/driver so it's up-to-date with the latest update to 10.14? I undestand that .5 was a major update.
  • Thanks again. I really appreciate ypur efforts and help.
  • Emile
  •  
HP Recommended

@enucho

Try disabling or the uninstalling the Antivirus and check if that helps

Else uninstall the printer driver

1. Click Finder in the Dock.

2. In the menu bar, click Go, click Applications, and then open the HP or Hewlett Packard folder.

• If HP Uninstaller is in the folder, double click it, and then follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.

• If HP Uninstaller is not in the folder, continue to the next step.

3. Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.

4. In the menu bar, click Go, click Go to Folder, type /Library/Printers, then click Go.

The Printers folder opens.

5. Click and drag the HP or Hewlett Packard folder to the Trash icon in the Dock.

6. Restart the Mac.

7. Right-click or Ctrl + click the Trash icon, and then select Empty Trash.

Next Re-Add the printer with Airprint.

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.