Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately DOT4_001 wasn't listed as a possible port.  I tried 4 or 5 of the ports that were listed but stopped as it was creating havoc on my Printers/Device page.  Any recommendations what to use given DOT4_001 is not a choice in Win 10.

I hate to trash my work-horse HP1012 LaserJet as I have enough toner for the next 10 years.

Help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JaceS,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. 🙂 A very good day to you! 🙂 I read the post regarding issues with x printing from your HP printer on Windows 10 as it does not get installed correctly.  I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular research were done as well. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 . I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. This should do the trick for you.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @JaceS,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. 🙂 A very good day to you! 🙂 I read the post regarding issues with x printing from your HP printer on Windows 10 as it does not get installed correctly.  I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

You’ve done an excellent job on diagnosing the issue from your end. Superb effort and spectacular research were done as well. 🙂 Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 . I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. This should do the trick for you.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Go to

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/UPD/4157320/model/4157320

Download

HP LaserJet USB (DOT4) communication driver for Windows 8 and Higher (64-bit)

After download, open the folder to install the downloaded file Dot4x64.msi

This will create the DOT4_001 (HP Print Device)

I pick the choose the printer port as DOT4_001 for installation.

then I use the Window Vista 64 bit driver obtained from HP: lj1010serieshb-vista64

Site: 

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-1012-printer/377934

I unzip the file and use the window software to open the HP1015 driver (can be used for HP1012) from the unzip downloaded folder. 

This install the HP1012 printer.

Printing test page: pass

Printing off Google page: pass

Printing off MS word 2007: pass.

Problem is solved. All you need is the Vista 64 bit driver from HP. It works for window 10.

Test date: 3/31/2018.

For those having trouble with DOT4_001 or PCL5** If DOT4_001 is not present, try selecting USB001 instead and continue with all other steps. For those having trouble with finding HP Laserjet 3055 PCL5, try using PCL6 instead. This video teaches you how to install the HP LaserJet 1010 printer ...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.