Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M404dn

Good day,

I have a 404dn that is reporting as USB when I use the HP update app. 

I tried to update hoping the firmware would update the sleep mode. I want the printer to NOT GO TO SLEEP MODE.

When the app searches it finds all the printers, lists their IP address and Host Name but the one I want to update, again, lists as USB connected so I can't update it.  Thank you in advance for any help.

KHSLUPE_0-1670255423923.png

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello KHSLUPE,

If what you want is to completely disable sleep mode on your printer, that is not possible: by design these printers will go to sleep when not used. However, if you want to increase the time your printer will stay on, you can choose from the options on control panel:

• Press OK to access Setup menu.
  • Scroll through the options and hit OK button on Power Management.
  • Select Sleep Delay.

Once there you will see the options. The longest the printer will stay is 1 hour. The shortest is 1 minute and you will see several other options in between.

Keep in mind that the printer has been designed to go to sleep, so there is no option to completely disable such feature, even when updating firmware that is not possible.

PS: if what you want is just update the firmware, you can try using the HP FW Update Utility app, or if the printer is also network connected, you can reach the printers web interface (Embedded Web Server) by entering the printer's IP address in a browser, then go to Tools> Printer Updates.

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello KHSLUPE,

The printer does not have the option to disable the sleep mode, even after a firmware update it will not give the option to turn off the sleep mode, the shutdown mode is the option that can be turned off from the Embedded Web Server or from the printer menu, setup- power management- disable shutdown.

Regarding the firmware update you can try with a different way, instead of running the exe file, you can use 7zip to extract the exe and get the .FUL2 file, which you can move to an USB flash drive (fat32, no more than 32gb and empty), plug it in the USB job storage, then go to the setup menu- printer maintenance- update the printer. 

If after this you still have problem with the update you can call tech support for further investigation.

LaserJet tech support phone number 800-334-5144

Best regards.

I am an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.