Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
hp 7800 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been fighting problems with this printer since I got it last year.  I've connected it via WIFI to my main router, let's call it AWIFI.

I have two PCs, one on the access point AWIFI and a second one connecting to the same subnet but via a REPEATER, let's call that RWIFI.

THere are actually two problems.  The first is that once the printer goes into sleep, neither PC can print to the printer without turning off and on AND playing around abit...

BUT the second problem is what I'm asking about.  While once the printer goes into sleep mode and rebooted, the PC connecting to the RWIFI  says that the printer if offline and will not print. I can access the printer via the browser but it just doesn't print.  I have to reinstall the printer to use it.

Now, there should be no difference how I access a subnet, say 192.168.0.0/ 255.255.255.0, yet it appears that the HP software using using local IP addresses.  As the RWIFI repeater HAS to have a different subnet 192.168.2.0/255/255/255/0, I'm guessing that this is somehow messing things up.  Even though I have manually defined the printer with an IP address on the subnet 192.168.0.0, things are getting confused between the PC being on on subnet and the printer on another.

Now if the printer didn't work at all I would guess that the software was ignoring my manual IP settings but it works.  Also, the firmware updates don't work when accessing the printer via the RWIFI to AWIFI. If I set the PC to be on the same access point, the firmware works, EVEN THOUGH I NEVER changed the manual IP to be on the AWIFI subnet, 192.168.2.10 to a 192.168.1.x IP address.

Neither does the HP doctor software find the printer as it is using the local subnet and of course the software doesn't allow me to enter an IP address for the printer so it just fails, along with updates.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  While I'll put the printer on the RWIFI subnet for now as my wife isn't computer literate and hopefully that will fix her printing issue, it won't fix issues from my PC.

Any help is appreciated.  I'd rather not have to buy a mesh network at this time but if that is the solution I will.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

While once the printer goes into sleep mode and rebooted, the PC connecting to the RWIFI says that the printer if offline and will not print. I can access the printer via the browser but it just doesn't print. I have to reinstall the printer to use it.

Go to that computer check is your printer under port settings set to WSD if yes set it to Standard TCP/IP, restart the computer and try printing when the printer goes to sleep mode. That's the first thing on my mind.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you. Yes. I set it up for manual IP address and it is correct.

There is only one solution that I came up with but unfortunately it won't work using a repeater as the repeater has to be on a separate subnet from the main wireless network.  The only time that the printer is shown as "online" on the secondary subnet is when the printer is booted.  I'm guessing it is sending out a broadcast of 255.0.0.0 and that that broadcast is being sent to the secondary subnet so the PCs on that subnet will see it.  But once time goes by the PC removes the information from its routing tables.  Since the second subnet will query only on the subnet it never will find the printer on the first subnet, ever. 

Only by the printer sending out a broadcast upon booting will it find it.

My solution that I wanted to do was to create a class B Network (or is it C? LOL). of 255.255.0.0 and include both subnets as parts of the larger network. In that case things would work fine.  The problem with this is using repeating.  The router that I'm using wants to make a subnet that isn't part of the modem. 

Example. Modem/router  [personal info removed], mask  255.255.0.0.

Subnet on the repeater becomes [personal info removed] 255.255.0.0 .  The secondary router's IP address is set via the repeating function and isn't controllable.

Since I don't print as much as my wife I just put the printer on the secondary network and I'll use the old sneaker net. 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.