Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet Professional P1109w
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have an HP Laser Jet Professional P1109w connected to my iMac (27-inch, Mojave, 10.14.6) and cannot set up wireless printing.

I've gone to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners > Options & Supplies > Utility > Open Printer Utility > HTML Configuration, but when I click on the Networking tab it goes to a localhost page and if anything shows up at all, it's usually an error message saying:

This page isn’t working

localhost didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Once it loaded a completely black page with some weird image on it.

I've downloaded the HP Smart app, it recognizes my printer, but it says my printer status is unavailable and to connect it to the same network as my computer...which, of course, I am unable to do as stated above. Until I am able to connect it wirelessly, I cannot update the firmware, as it gives me an error saying it cannot connect to my printer.

Working at this all day and very frustrated. Can anyone help suggest how I can connect my printer to the wireless network?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Slappytown

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network. 

• This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. 

• The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information. 

Do you have aby antivirus/security software installed. 

To be able to assist you better, I'd like to know the following- 

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network? 

• Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? 

• What is the distance between the router and the printer? 

• Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer? 

• Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? 

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display. 

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us. 

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.   

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Keep me posted for further assistance. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your reply! Going to go through your questions in order:

I can't tell whether the printer is connected to any wireless network since I don't have a display on the P1109w. Here's a screenshot of the printer utility page. There doesn't seem to be any network information at all.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 1.54.48 PM.png

My router is 2.4GHz.

• The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 1.21.07 PM.png

No.

Again, it appears the printer is not connected to any network at all

Only 2.4GHz

Approx. 24 in.

No.

• Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results? 

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display. 

I don't know the printer IP address as I previously stated, and I don't have a printer display. So what am I pinging? The only IP address on my printer device config page was an IPv4 address under Direct Print Config. I tried pinging that and after nearly 100 pings I got this:

76 bytes from agg64.nyclnyrg01r.nyc.rr.com (24.164.164.252): Destination Net Unreachable

Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst

4  5  00 5400 ca61   0 0000  3c  01 52ed 192.168.1.8  192.168.223.1

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.   

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

I have a Netgear Rangemax wnr834b, which I didn't purchase through my Spectrum ISP. Not sure how I would check if it accepts Bonjour packets, but from what I've read online the router does.

So, I believe that answers all the questions, and again, really appreciate your help troubleshooting. Let me know if there's any other info you need!

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

I tried including some screenshots in my previous post but they were stripped from the post. Not sure how to get you that info...private message?

thanks!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your reply! Going to go through your questions in order:

I can't tell whether the printer is connected to any wireless network since I don't have a display on the P1109w.

[NOTE: I COULDN'T PROVIDE A SCREENSHOT OF MY PRINTER CONFIG PAGE AS THIS SYSTEM WOULDN'T LET ME. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET THE INFO TO YOU]

My router is 2.4GHz.

[NOTE: I COULDN'T PROVIDE A SCREENSHOT OF MY WIRELESS STATUS MENU. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW TO GET THE INFO TO YOU]

•  

No.

Again, it appears the printer is not connected to any network at all

Only 2.4GHz

Approx. 24 in.

No.

I don't know the printer IP address as I previously stated, and I don't have a printer display. So what am I pinging? The only IP address on my printer device config page was an IPv4 address under Direct Print Config. I tried pinging that and after nearly 100 pings I got this:

76 bytes from agg64.nyclnyrg01r.nyc.rr.com (24.164.164.252): Destination Net Unreachable

Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst

4  5  00 5400 ca61   0 0000  3c  01 52ed 192.168.1.8  192.168.223.1

I have a Netgear Rangemax wnr834b, which I didn't purchase through my Spectrum ISP. Not sure how I would check if it accepts Bonjour packets, but from what I've read online the router does.

So, I believe that answers all the questions, and again, really appreciate your help troubleshooting. Let me know if there's any other info you need!

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the detailed report 🙂

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Also Remove and add the printer

Click the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.

Depending on your operating system version, click Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.

Click the name of your printer, click the Minus sign and then delete the printer.

Click the Plus sign and then click Add Printer or Scanner.

Click the Use or Print Using box, and then select AirPrint

Click Add to add the printer to the list.

Try to print.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.