Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
M177FW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've had this printer for a few years now setup on a LAN. I have a need to set it up via wireless now. I have a static IP/Subnet/Gateway/DNS setup under IPv4 and have disabled IPv6.

I have enabled "Wireless Configuration" 

and selected "Join an existing wireless network"

I have selected my wireless network (wifi-5g) from the list of available wifi networks

I have selected Security setting: WPA/WPA2 (I use WPA2)

I have pasted in my 57 character pass phrase (when I apply that pass phrase turns into 7 asterisks characters)

I have then disconnected the RJ45 from the printer, shut it down, powered it up, and no love from the printer

So, I manually typed in the passphrase onto the printer (this was NOT fun - why have to do this when I have a perfectly good config. web page that works flawlessly for the LAN setup?) when running through the Wireless wizard setup..it cannot connect.

So,I reconnected via LAN,

I re-did the wireless setup in the web based config,

disconnected LAN,

shutdown printer, startup printer,

re-ran the network test from the wireless config and

everything passes, except it does not connect.

I have 18 devices 6 other devices (laptops/cell phones) all connected to the same wireless AP using the same settings.

I MUST be missing something but I have no idea what it would be.

MORE info:

I run pfsense on my old HP PC. I have 5 LAN ports of which I use 2 (LAN1->switch1, LAN2->switch2 - each connected to an 8-port unmanaged switch)

I have an Asus_RT_AC5300 that's configured as, basically a big switch

- have disabled the dhcp server

- have disabled firewall

- have NOT enabled MAC filtering

- the WAN port on the Asus is NOT in use

-one of the LAN (LAN port 1 = highest priority port) ports is use for connectivity to the pfsense box

- all my wifi devices receive IP settings from the pfsense firewall

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Sorry guys, I tried the shutdown/restart of the printer one more time - this time I pulled the electrical plug from the printer, waited 30 seconds for all the various crap to clear, plugged it in started it up and it was connected on start up.

So, no help needed but thanks for reading:-)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi again,

Sorry guys, I tried the shutdown/restart of the printer one more time - this time I pulled the electrical plug from the printer, waited 30 seconds for all the various crap to clear, plugged it in started it up and it was connected on start up.

So, no help needed but thanks for reading:-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.