Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a HP Color Laserjet MFP M281fdw printer. I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Now I am unable to print using my HP Smart app. The device no more shows and if I try adding, it shows Online but cannot connect to it. 

HP1.png

This is when I try adding printer:

HP2.png

The printer is online as seen from 'online' status here but if I try to click and connect, this is the message I get:

HP3.png

I tried restarting my PC and the printer multiple times but no luck. Can anyone please help? Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try restarting your router and allow the internet connection to return, then restart both the printer and the PC and check for any difference.

If the same persists, is the printer connected with an Ethernet cable or wirelessly?

Also, if your PC may be connected to any VPN by any chance, please disconnect from any such first prior of trying to add the printer.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Printer is connected wirelessly.

I already tried restarting my router. I double checked that my PC isn't connected to any VPN.

The same printer can be accessed from a Windows 10 PC on the same network but my PC [which was recently upgraded to Windows 11] is having this issue. 

HP Recommended

Please click the Setup menu and select Self Diagnostics and select Run Wireless Test.

May it indicate any error or warning in the Troubleshooting section within the report? what exact information is listed there?

Next, select Setup > Reports > Network Summary and evaluate the printed report, what information is listed under TCP/IP(v4), under the IP Preferred Address Method section?

HP Recommended

Where  can I access the Setup menu that you are asking for?

HP Recommended

On the printer screen, swipe left, and then you will see the Setup icon c04075217

HP Recommended

No issues or warnings in the wireless test.

Here's the TCP/IP(v4) section of the Network Summary Report:

HP4.jpg

HP Recommended

I have tried it already but it's of no use. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Teknas,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties with your HP Color Laserjet MFP M281fdw after upgrading to Windows 11. Incompatibility issues can sometimes occur when upgrading to a new operating system. Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve the problem.

• Restart your printer and computer: Sometimes, a simple restart can help resolve connectivity issues. Turn off your printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. Restart your computer as well.
  • Update HP Smart app: Make sure you have the latest version of the HP Smart app installed on your computer. Visit the official HP website or the Microsoft Store to check for updates and install any available updates for the app.
  • Reinstall HP Smart app: If updating the app didn't resolve the issue, try uninstalling the HP Smart app from your computer and reinstalling it. To uninstall, go to "Settings" > "Apps & Features," locate the HP Smart app, click on it, and select "Uninstall." Then, visit the Microsoft Store or HP website to download and reinstall the app.
  • Check printer connectivity: Verify that your printer is connected to the same network as your computer. Ensure that the Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection is stable. If you are using a wireless connection, try connecting the printer directly to your computer via a USB cable and check if it is recognized.
  • Update printer drivers: Outdated or incompatible printer drivers can cause printing issues. Visit the HP Support website, search for your printer model, and download the latest Windows 11 compatible drivers. Install the drivers and follow any on-screen instructions.
  • Disable firewall or security software temporarily: Sometimes, firewall or security software settings can interfere with printer connectivity. Temporarily disable your firewall or security software and check if you can connect to the printer through the HP Smart app.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry - I have tried this all but nothing works!

Check my port settings - maybe some fiddling is needed here?

P1.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.