Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What is it with the offline issue and this printer connected via wireless?

It works fine for a while, both scanning and printing, then printing stops working. Windows shows the printer as "offline".

I fire up HP Smart, and I can scan just fine, but printing doesn't do anything. No error msg, no feedback, nothing. I can see the job in the print queue. Printing from windows ditto, the job gets into the print queue, but no feedback.

Going through their chat, and their print/scan doctor, trying everything they said, and........nothing.

Then I power down the printer, power it back up, and everything is fine. Why is this so hard to get right?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jplank, Welcome to HP Support Community!

You may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Assign manual IP to the printer

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

If the issue persists, I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

8). Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for the HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Use this link to download and install the new driver. Configure the printer.

Add a TCP/IP port.

1. Print a Network Configuration Report from the Printer Settings or Wireless menu.
  2. Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, click the Ports tab, and then click Add Port.
  3. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.
  4. Follow the instructions to add a new port using the information listed on the Network Configuration Report.
  5. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, what does:  "try changing the channel manually." mean? This is on the router?

And as mentioned I did try the doctor, no dice. Firmware is up to date as well. I haven't tried setting a fixed IP. Can you give more info on what problem this is attempting to solve?

To recap, right now the printer is fine. It's normally fine. I start my work day, printer is online when I need to print. Then every now and then (maybe once every 2-3 weeks?), the printer goes offline and I can't print. I CAN scan via HP smart, which means the software knows the printer is there and is communicating with it. Furthermore, "HP Smart" has that "ready" checkbox set to green. But in Windows, "devices and printers" the printer is shown as "offline". And the only thing that works is to power it down.

HP Recommended

@jplank

Thanks for replying!

Yes, changing the channel is on the router. You can take the help of your ISP.

And follow the rest of the steps as suggested to resolve the issue 🙂

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, I don't really want to try a bunch of random things without more information. Why would I change the channel on the router? And to which channel? What problem is it solving?

Why does "HP Smart" see the printer and I can scan? But not print? 

Specific information about what the problem might be, and how a particular solution solves that problem, would be good.

HP Recommended
Use HP Print and Scan Doctor (Windows)

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor on your Windows computer to help diagnose and fix printing and scanning issues.

1. Make sure paper is loaded in the main tray, and then turn on the printer.

2. Download HP Print and Scan Doctor , and then follow the prompts to install and open the tool.

3. On the welcome screen, click Start to select your printer and run the diagnostic.

4. If your printer is not found, click My product is not listed, and then follow the instructions troubleshoot the connection.

Set the default printer

Set your printer as default on your Windows 10 computer to make sure print and scan jobs use the correct printer.

1. In Windows, search for and open Printers & scanners.

2. Make sure the box next to Let Windows manage my default printer is not checked.

3. From the list of printers, click your printer name, and then click Manage. If there are multiple printer names that match yours, select the printer that is idle or online.

4. Under Manage your device, click Set as default.

Check Windows Function Discovery services

If your printer uses a WSD port, make sure Function Discovery services start automatically and are currently running.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel, and then click View devices and printers.

2. Right-click your printer, select Printer Properties, and then click the Ports tab.

3. Look for a WSD port in the list.

• If there is no WSD port, do not continue with these steps. Print a Network Configuration page, and then create a manual IP connection in the printer EWS and add a Standard TCP/IP printer port in Windows.

• If there is a WSD port, make sure the check box is selected, and then continue with these steps.

4. In Windows, search for and open Services.

5. Find Function Discovery Provider Host and Function Discovery Resource Publication in the list.

6. For both, make sure the Status is Running and Startup Type is Automatic.

7. If one or both items has a Manual Startup Type or is not running, right-click the item, select Properties, change the Startup Type to Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

8. Close the Services window.

Create a manual IP connection (wireless only)

Print a Network Configuration or Wireless Network Test Results page, and then use the information on it to wirelessly connect your printer.

1. Print a Network Configuration or Wireless Network Test Results page.

• Printers with a control panel menu: Print the page from the Wireless, Network Settings, or Setup menu.

• Printers without a control panel menu: Print the page using button combinations on the printer control panel.

For most printers, press the Wireless and Information buttons at the same time, or press the Wireless and Start Copy Black buttons at the same time.

For HP DeskJet 6000 and 6400, ENVY 6000 and 6400, and Tango printers, touch and hold the Information button  until all control panel buttons light up, and then touch the Information and Resume buttons at the same time.

2. On the printout, find the Wireless Status, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and URL.

• Wireless status: Under 802.11 Wireless, the Status should be Connected. If it is not, your printer is not connected to the wireless network. Connect your printer to the network. For more information, go to Connect to a wireless HP printer.

• IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway: Under 802.11 Wireless, find the printer's IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway numbers. If you see different numbers for IPv4 and IPv6, you only need the IPv4 numbers.

• URL(s): Under General Information, find the URL(s) for Embedded Web Server. Your printer might have more than one URL.

3. From a computer connected to the same network as your printer, open an internet browser, type one of the URLs into the address field, and then press Enter to open the printer's EWS. If the EWS does not display, try another browser.

4. In the EWS, click the Network or Networking tab, open the Wireless menu option, and then click IPv4 Configuration.

5. Select Manual IP, and then provide your printer information.

• To auto-fill all fields, click Suggest a Manual IP Address, and then make sure the fields for Manual IP Address, Manual Subnet Mask, and Manual Default Gateway match your printer's information on the Network Configuration Page.

• If Suggest a Manual IP Address is not available, type the information from the Network Configuration page into the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway fields.

6. Click Apply, and then wait until the changes are confirmed.

Create a TCP/IP Port in Windows (wireless only)

Add a printer port to Windows that matches your printer's IP address.

1. Print a Network Configuration or Wireless Network Test Results page.

• Printers with a control panel menu: Print the page from the Wireless, Network Settings, or Setup menu.

• Printers without a control panel menu: Print the page using button combinations on the printer control panel.

For most printers, press the Wireless and Information buttons at the same time, or press the Wireless and Start Copy Black buttons at the same time.

For HP DeskJet 6000 and 6400, ENVY 6000 and 6400, and Tango printers, touch and hold the Information button until all control panel buttons light up, and then touch the Information and Resume buttons at the same time

2. On the Network Configuration page, find the printer's IP address.

3. In Windows, search for and open Printers & scanners.

4. Click the name of your printer, and then select Manage.

5. Click Printer Properties.

6. On the Ports tab, click Add Port.

7. Select Standard TCP/IP Port, and then click New Port.

8. Type the printer's IP address, and then click Next.

9. Select the new Standard TCP/IP Port from the list, and then click OK.

Source: HP Suppport

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.