Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended

Dear all @HP

What is undertaken by HP >now< to make all older and newer printers compatible to the PMF technique required by WPA3 WLAN security? My new router software rejects WLAN connection due to lack of 

I don't want to buy a new printer and I don't want to step my router back to an unsafe mode.

Thanks and best, 
Mark

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Eno672,

What is your HP printer model, please?

Most current HP printers support PMF, but with WPA or WPA2 only, there are no HP printers to support WPA3 at this time:

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/document/c05240288

You would likely need to change your router configuration to use WPA2, but keep in mind that both printer and router updates are crucial, ensure that both devices are up to date.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi ShlomiL

Printer is: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus.

Best, Mark

HP Recommended

Hi Shlomi

To be precise: my question was not to make my printer WPA3-compatible, but to make it PMF-compatible.

Thanks and best,  M.

HP Recommended

Updating the printer's firmware should resolve the problem and allow the printer to connect with PMF enabled (with WPA1 or WPA2):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

Either temporary disable the wireless password and update the printer, connect it with an ethernet cable and update it or connect it with a USB to your PC and run the update from hp.com.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks, Shlomi

Starting the update function on the printer's display says that the firmware is up to date.

Looking for it on the Drivers Download page says, that the firmware for "HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911 Firmware Update" has been released on August 3, >>>2018<<<, and I had updated to this version already long time ago - yes, imagine: 2018 is 2 years ago.

So what helps really to turn on PMF for this "HP Officejet Pro 8600"? 

Thanks for assisting on this, and best, M.

HP Recommended

So . . .the question was not about WPA or WPA2. The question was what is HP doing to address WPA3.

HP Recommended

WPA3 or the WPA2/WPA3 transition mode require PMF, and my printer doesn't receive an update to support PMF. Regarding sustainability, a PMF update for the printer firmware would extend the period of usability. Finally, HP still sells the appropriate ink for this printer!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.