Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
LaserJet M118dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print to this printer through the wired network. I can ping the printers IP address and have set up a windows print queue with the correct IP address.  Not sure what is wrong. A lot of the printing I do for work is from the command line using a printing program that send the print file (typically pcl) to the printer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @RandySS,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

If you can ping the printer but are unable to print, here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot the issue:

Check Printer Status:

• Ensure the printer is turned on and ready.
  • Check the printer's control panel for any error messages or alerts.

Verify IP Address:

• Double-check the IP address of the printer to ensure it hasn't changed.
  • You can usually find the printer's IP address by printing a network configuration page from the printer's control panel.

Update Printer Drivers:

• Make sure you have the latest printer driver installed.
  • You can download the latest driver from the HP Support website.

Restart Print Spooler Service:

• Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
  • Scroll down and find the "Print Spooler" service.
  • Right-click on it and select "Restart."

Reconfigure the Printer:

• Delete the existing print queue and re-add the printer:
    1. Go to Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
    2. Select the printer and click Remove device.
    3. Click Add a printer or scanner and follow the steps to re-add the printer using the correct IP address.

Firewall and Antivirus Settings:

• Ensure that your firewall or antivirus software is not blocking the printer communication.
  • You may need to add an exception for the printer's IP address or disable the firewall temporarily to test.

Network Configuration:

• Check if there are any network configuration issues.
  • Make sure the printer and your computer are on the same network subnet.
  • Check the router settings to ensure there are no restrictions or blocks on the printer's IP address.

Test Printing from Another Device:

• Try printing from another computer or device on the same network to determine if the issue is specific to your computer.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue preventing you from printing to your HP LaserJet M118dw through the wired network. If the problem persists, there may be a deeper issue with the printer or network configuration that may require further investigation via remote assistance on the phone. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @RandySS,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

If you can ping the printer but are unable to print, here are some steps you can follow to troubleshoot the issue:

Check Printer Status:

• Ensure the printer is turned on and ready.
  • Check the printer's control panel for any error messages or alerts.

Verify IP Address:

• Double-check the IP address of the printer to ensure it hasn't changed.
  • You can usually find the printer's IP address by printing a network configuration page from the printer's control panel.

Update Printer Drivers:

• Make sure you have the latest printer driver installed.
  • You can download the latest driver from the HP Support website.

Restart Print Spooler Service:

• Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
  • Scroll down and find the "Print Spooler" service.
  • Right-click on it and select "Restart."

Reconfigure the Printer:

• Delete the existing print queue and re-add the printer:
    1. Go to Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
    2. Select the printer and click Remove device.
    3. Click Add a printer or scanner and follow the steps to re-add the printer using the correct IP address.

Firewall and Antivirus Settings:

• Ensure that your firewall or antivirus software is not blocking the printer communication.
  • You may need to add an exception for the printer's IP address or disable the firewall temporarily to test.

Network Configuration:

• Check if there are any network configuration issues.
  • Make sure the printer and your computer are on the same network subnet.
  • Check the router settings to ensure there are no restrictions or blocks on the printer's IP address.

Test Printing from Another Device:

• Try printing from another computer or device on the same network to determine if the issue is specific to your computer.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the issue preventing you from printing to your HP LaserJet M118dw through the wired network. If the problem persists, there may be a deeper issue with the printer or network configuration that may require further investigation via remote assistance on the phone. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.