cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status..
thelordsmurf
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How to reset HP Embedded Web Server Password or know what the default password is/scan from document

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am trying to change some settings on my OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer. I want the scanner to scan from the document feeder but it isn't doing it, so I wanted to see if there is a setting for it.

I am trying to access the settings through both the HP Smart App and the printer web address interface. In both cases, it asks for an administrator password. I never remember setting such a password, and I don't know what the default is.

I tried to reset the printer entirely, but it still asks for a password.

Can you help?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
31,162 30,876 5,321 12,401
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please go through the 'To restore the printer to the original factory defaults' within page 131 of its manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05139126.pdf

Now reconnect the printer to the network and check for any difference.

For an Ethernet connection no further steps are needed, for a wireless connection follow the 'Connect a printer with a touchscreen control panel' section below to reconnect the printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2819263-1626554-16

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
thelordsmurf
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Shllomil, I did the reset. However, I still need to know what the admin password is, as I can't set the default that the scanner should scan from the document feeder, and else the flatbed. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation