Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Office Jet Pro 8028
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer connects to my WiFi and receives a proper 192.168.x.x IP address via DHCP. I can print to it, ping it, and bring up its internal web page from a computer on the same subnet.

However, when I try to update the printer's firmware or enable Web Services it complains that it can't connect to the internet.

If I monitor my Firewall Logs while attempting firmware update or Web Services, I see packets from IP address 169.254.79.38 being blocked. This is the EXACT IP address that shows up on the printer's LCD screen while booting up and before connecting to the WiFi. This display is soon replaced by the 192.168.x.x IP address that it gets from DHCP. But, it seems like the printer is still trying to access the internet from 169.254.79.38.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please print and evaluate a Wireless Network Test Results report:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c06250639

May you see any attention listed on the printed report header?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

No problems with connection to wireless. Only problem is that it can't connect to internet ---- just as I said in my original post. All other devices on my 192.168.10.xx subnet connect to internet with no problems:

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

No problems noted in the report. Except that printer is not connected to internet.

It has IP Address of [personal info removed]. I can print to it as well as ping it and access its internal web server with a browser.

All other devices on my 192.168.10.xx subnet can access internet with no problems.

HP Recommended

OK, so I made a hardwired CAT5e Ethernet connection from the printer to my switch and got an IP address on the same subnet. I was then able to update the printer's firmware.

Then, I disconnected the cable and reconnected again via WiFi. Now the Wireless Network Test reports that the printer is connected to the internet and I can set up Web Services.

Seems like a bug in the previous firmware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.