I have a LaserJet Pro M12w that had been working fine over my home WiFi network. I then needed to reset my router to fix an internet issue and this changed the network password. My printer no longer connects to the network, as expected, but my problem is that I cannot find anyway to reconnect using the new network password. I have tried all the suggestions on the related HP help page (https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-laserjet-pro-m11-m13-printer-series/9365405/document/c059879...) but none of them worked. I tried the Virtual Agent but that just restates what is on the help page. I cannot find my exact issue in the Community pages.
Can anyone help?
Here are the specifics of what I done:
1) Connect the printer with WPS option. I followed the instructions from the help page. Router went into WPS mode and printer had blue light flashing, but connection not made. Tired this a few times. Even moved printer down to be immediately next to router to ensure it was not a WiFi signal strength issue. Have used WPS successfully from this router with other devices before, but cannot use with the printer now.
2) Use HP Smart option. Again followed instructions from help page. Chose option to add printer. Connected printer to laptop with USB cable as instructed. HP Smart says printer could not be found. Went to Windows printer control panel, which had my printer listed twice (USB and WiFi) - these are from when I had been using the printer successfully in the past. Removed printer in Windows in case it was causing an issue. Went through the same routine with HP Smart and still says printer not found. NOTE: having removed the printer and plugged it in again, Windows correct identified the printer and I could printer from it. It is only HP Smart that says the printer is not connected. So good to prove printer still working, but didn't help me get the wireless printing working again.
3) Use temporary USB connection. The help page says use "HP Printer Assistant", which did not get installed with the HP software. Download software from link in help page but still no Printer Assistant. Tried using the similarly named app that was installed - HP Support Assistant. Opened page for my printer. There is no "Utilities" tab as mentioned in help page, or anywhere to "Reconfigure Wireless Settings".
4) HP Print and Scan Doctor. As help page options had not worked, tried to do further investigation. HP Support Assistant allowed by to start up HP Print and Scan Doctor. This did not help because it could not find the printer (similar to HP Smart).
5) Printed self test/ device configuration page from printer directly. In the Network Information section it still has the Network Name (SSID) of my home WiFi network. If I was in Windows, I would want to "forget network" and connect again to force re-entry of network password. I do not not know how to do this with a printer though!
A very frustrating morning. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Colin.
Restore the default wireless settings. a. Turn the product off. b. Press and hold the wireless button and the cancel button, and then turn the product on. c. Hold the buttons until all the lights blink in unison, and then release the buttons.
Once done, try connecting the Printer again.
Let me know if this helps.
If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
I have reset the wireless settings but still not able to connect wirelessly to the printer. Any further ideas?
I reset the wireless on printer as per your instructions. I printed out the config page and it confirmed that the SSID has been cleared from the printer config, so looks like the reset worked. Then tried the connection steps again but not luck. Same issues as before, that is
- WPS: no connection made
- HP Smart app: does not recognise there being any printer when I try Add printer
- HP Support Assistant: HP Print and Scan Doctor runs (though USB) and says no problem; no option to update wireless details
- HP Printer Assistant: App mentioned in help page I originally start on, but cannot find app so assume it is now superseded by HP Support Assistant
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".