Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3700 series
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Hi!

I have an HP DeskJet 3700 series wireless printer/scanner.  After much fineageling, I have gotten it to print wirelessly.  However, my Mac running High Sierra (10.13.6) can't seem to find the device so I can scan wirelessly.  Using HP Utility, I can get it to calibrate the scanner wirelessly, but when it comes to scanning a document, my Mac can't find the printer/scanner at all.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Chazmanian, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Have you tried using the Apple Image Capture? 

Meanwhile, ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Try scanning.

If the issue persists, we can try updating the HP Easy Scan App. Here is how you do it-

Uninstall the printer software and reinstall it. Refer to the document HP Printers - Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac)  for help. Once you have the latest software, try scanning.

Refer to the document HP Printers - How to Scan (Mac) for additional help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already done all of that.  Apple Image Capture will cannot find the 3700 ... period. HP Easy Scan cannot find it, either.  And yes, the printer was turned on when I was trying these apps.  None of the software I have to access the 3700 and use it as a scanner can find it.  I can use the HP Utility App to calibrate the scanner, but nothing else.

My MacOS is as up-to-date as High Sierra will go.  I re-installed the drivers using HP Easy Start just a couple hours prior to posting my message for help. so that software is up-to-date.  The printer updates its own firmware, and had recently updated itself.

HP Recommended

@Chazmanian

Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer? If yes, could you try disabling it and then scan?

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, no anti-virus software.  I'm on a Mac.

HP Recommended

@Chazmanian

To be able to assist you better, I'd like to know the following-

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'. 

Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@TEJ1602

• Are the printer and PC connected to the same network?  YES
  • Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz?  YES
  • What is the distance between the router and the printer? About maybe 8 - 10 feet
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results

Results of 5 pings:

Ping has started…

PING 192.168.1.8 (192.168.1.8): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.8: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=47.239 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=46.451 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=45.630 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=42.250 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=38.623 ms

--- 192.168.1.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 38.623/44.039/47.239/3.198 ms

My wireless router is not owned or maintained by my internet provider.  I will have to check on manufacturer's specs.

HOWEVER, after the ping test, the 3700 can be found by programs that can scan, like HP Easy Scan, BUT every time I try to scan a photo, it says that the scanner is unavailable.

HP Recommended

@Chazmanian

Thanks for replying!

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I resolved the issue myself.  My router needed a firmware upgrade.

HP Recommended

@Chazmanian

Happy to hear 🙂

Do get back if you need any assistance in the future.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.