Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4500 G510a-f
Other

Hi to all,

english is not my first language, however, I hope I manage to explain my problem. Also, the screenshots are in german. 

I have an HP Officejet 4500 G510a-f Desktop printer (no AirPrint!) which I used to connect to my router and thus was able to print via my Wifi network from my Mac.

With the upgrade to macOS Catalina it suddenly stopped working. I’ve tried everything but couldn’t fix it. A few days ago I upgraded to Big Sur, hoping this would solve the issue, however, it did not.

Here’s what happens, when I do all the steps according to the router’s manual:

I add a printer via system preferences.

I click on „IP“ and insert all needed information (IP address of the router, protocol, queue, etc.)

HP_Mac_01.png

Now, if I choose „Generic PostScript Printer“ a printer gets added, however, if I try to print something it says „printer does not respond“ or „no connection“ to the printer“.

If I choose the correct HP driver (recently downloaded via Apple), it gives me an error right away: „No communication with the printer.“

HP_Mac_02.png

I’ve tried all different combinations of protocols, I deleted and re-downloaded the drivers, however, I can’t get it to work. 

If I directly connect the printer to my Macbook via USB it works perfectly fine. And the router itself recognizes the printer since I can see the queue in the routers dashboard.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

HI,

Please make sure you refer to Catalina indeed, and not to Big Sur which is the latest version, click the Apple Icon and then About This Mac, the latest Catalina version is 10.15.7.

Assuming it is Catalina indeed,please make sure your macOS is fully up to date by installing any update for Catalina:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201541

Next, uninstall any existing HP Software by following the HP Uninstaller Utility below:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/HP_Uninstaller...

Next, download and install the latest drivers below:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/ASU/HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dm...

Finally,  open System Preferences, and then open Printers & Scanners to re-add your printer. be sure to select the printer model within the Use drop-down menu.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi!

Thanks for your answer. I am referring to Big Sur! I was just not available in the drop down menu about the OS.

So, I am using Big Sur right now. However, when I still had Catalina, I did exactly what you propose, however, it did not make any difference. Still the same behavior. 

I also tried it with Big Sur – no difference. Sorry.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying, this is a different version than please follow the steps below and let me know its results:

Try following below version of the HP Easy Start Utility:
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/ASU/HP_Easy_St...

As soon as you open HP Easy Start, click the top HP Easy Start menu and select Uninstall HP Software...
Read any warnings that display, and then click Continue. When prompted, type your administrator user name and password and follow the steps on screen.
Click Set Up New Device, and then follow the instructions to reinstall your printer with HP Easy Start and check if that may work.

If HP Easy Start cannot complete your printer installation, from the HP Easy Start menu select Preferences.
Click on HP Easy Start.log and the log folder will launch, please reply me back via a Private Message with the log content attached, please clarify if you may not able to access private messaging.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Sorry your solution doesn't work. I have a HP1510 deskjet printer which refuses to work because of this issue. The new drivers on Easy Start for Mac Op 11 (big Sur) do not fix it. If you have access to the HP company please let this community know if this will be fixed. I have replaced my HP with a Canon so that I have a printer that works but why should I have to do this?

HP Recommended

Sorry for the late response.

I uninstalled all the software via HP Easy Start and tried to set up a new device which failed. The software recognizes my printer (via USB), however, is unable to download any drivers.

I got the log, however, I can't seem to access private messaging. When I click on your profile, there is no "private message" button.

Tim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.