Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using this printer on wireless for some time but it does go offline occasionally and has to be switched back online. But I've spent all today trying to get it back online, without success. I have reinstalled the software 3 times, and tried USB, wi-fi and ethernet, to no avail. Windows troubleshooters are useless, as are HP diagnostics. This is on a Samsung Q330 laptop.

But the very  odd thing is that it works with another (old desktop) Windows PC on the network. At present it's connected via ethernet, and the desktop PC can print. There is something wrong with the settings on the laptop PC and I am baffled as to what it is.

Ethernet, wi-fi and USB all work fine on the laptop for other devices, only this printer is being difficult. Ink levels are all fine, no alerts, altjhough they are 3rd party cartridges.

Les Rose
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I have worked around this. I had to create a new TCP/IP port for the printer. I could only get the IP address by running the Print and Scan Doctor. This is not much use for diagnosis but it did get me the address. No real problem running it on ethernet, although wi-fi would be nicer, but it just doesn't work.

Les Rose
HP Recommended

Hi @Majikthyse,

I'd like to help!

Set a manual IP

Press the ( Wireless ) button and the ( Information ) button together to print the network configuration page and the wireless network test report.

--->Take down the IP Address and then 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP
--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 
--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply
--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  
--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for your instructions, but I am further back than before. I set the manual IP address and now I can't even print via ethernet, I suspect that Windows became confused because we have a w-fi repeater in another room and that's why the printer software thought there were 2 printers not one. The original network configuration was:

Printer connected to router via wi-fi.

Desktop PC connected to router via ethernet, and laptop via wi-fi.

The laptop now recognises the printer but can't send any print jobs. It can command an internal print. Even without the wi-fi repeater Windows still can't cope.

Les Rose
HP Recommended

Please share the wireless test report.

HP Recommended

IMG_20201012_224154068.jpg

Les Rose
HP Recommended

I am unable to upload the report. Please click this link.

Les Rose
HP Recommended

@Majikthyse

Thank you for the information.

Please perform the clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.       In Windows, search for and open Programs and features   

2.       Select your HP Printer   

3.       Select Uninstall   

4.       In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers   

5.       In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’   

6.       Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.   

7.       Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)   

8.       Click on the “Drivers” tab   

9.       Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom   

10.   Select Ok   

11.   Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows   

12.   Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer. 

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Thanks Praveen196

I followed all this carefully, and exactly t he same thing happened as before. The installer got to the stage of completing the process online, and reported that there is no internet connection. This is quite untrue - the PC has both wi-fi and ethernet connections, and it doesn't matter which is connected, the installer says the same. So I had to exit installation, and I still can't print. A test page throws an error.

Les Rose
HP Recommended

@Majikthyse

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below: 

  

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions. 

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated. 

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane. 

  

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help 

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.