Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 8040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Officejet 8040 cannot connect to Web Services.  It says "The server might be busy or temporarily unavailable.  Try again later."  I am trying to scan to email.  I have tried everything that I found so far in the forum (and others).  I know that some printers no longer have access to Web Services, but the 8040 Series is not on that list.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Cindy_Callahan,

I'd like to help!

Try the below suggestions-

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Let's disable webservices and re-enable it

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address
--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP
---> click on webservices and remove webservices and re-enable it

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

after hours of tech help, no way to enable web services as HP has eliminated the HP Officejet 8040.  However HP continues to charge me for instant ink....even though I cannot use it.  My printer is in perfect condition, rarely used...now becomes boat anchor!  bad bad service!

HP Recommended

@helpme301

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03767641 to deactivate your Instant Ink Account

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.