Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Toshiba Skullcandy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is an annoying problem... hope someone has a solution as I've tried many to no avail.  Have an HP Envy 5530 on a wireless network.  I recently reinstalled Windows 10 and thus did a fresh install of the printer software.  Had the same problem before reinstalling though... almost every time I try to print the error message "Printer is offline" pops up.  The printer has a static IP address so that's not the problem  I used to have luck running the HP Scan Doctor and it would fix it.  But this past week even that doesn't work, 

I've checked for updates... it has the latest. The printer has a static IP address so that isn't the problem, I've tried rebooting both the printer and my laptop... still doesn't work.  The last time I ran HP Scan Doctor there was a comment about"Print queue" being a problem.  In Control Panel > Devices & Printers the printer is dimmed out and status says "Offline" .  Also It's listed on the WSD port.  I cannot figure out why is still shows up as Offline??    Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sillycat41 

You are welcome.

Changing the connection type to TCP/IP might actually help - consider trying that when you get time / want to do it.

Restart the computer after you change the connection type.

A static manual IP can help, too.

What else?

This idea Unloved, hated by all who read it - and it is a legitimate checkpoint > Bad Router

An old, outdated, weak, or otherwise unsuitable router can cause trouble with connections.

IF your router is old, outdated, weak, consider updating it for better, stronger, faster equipment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even less loved, more reviled, not all that common, and still not related to the printer hardware > Bad Windows

Sometimes the only thing that fixes the printer software and the connection to the printer is to reload Windows.

Ignore this one unless you've tried every other solution and you are willing to do it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doctor Message > Risk!

Not sure about the "security risk" message -

I would guess it's your browser freaking out because the file is from ftp.

It's from HP ftp, but

• Particularly earlier this year, some browsers have slammed the door on ftp - seems to be in response to security concerns about sloppy ftp site management...  (It's actually more complicated than that but is just not relevant here.)
  • Some browsers freak (balk / complain) and then let you do what you want
  • Some browsers do not have any problems with it...

and / or

Try the download with "https" on the path 

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@sillycat41 

Add these to your checkpoints:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Printer Software

Sometimes it works to just uninstall the existing software > Restart > Download-Save-Install a fresh copy of the full driver printer software.

Reference

The Full Feature Software was last release for this printer in 2015.

It might still work with the latest versions of Windows 10.

HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers 

Method - Create TCP IP port

Change the printer connection type to TCP/IP

** Install – Optional - Port Issues - Create a TCP/IP port **

TCP/IP can resolve odd connection, scanning, and installation problems.

Create / Switch to a TCP/IP Port to facilitate communication and prevent ‘offline’ issues

How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by  greenturtle:

1. 1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
    2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, Right-Click the printer and Left-Click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
    3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
    4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:
    Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port within the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Dual Band Network

NOTE:  Ignore this section if it does not apply to your situation

Printer only supports 2.4 GHz - if you are running a dual band router, make sure it is broadcasting on both frequencies.  Connect your printer to the SSID named network for the 2.4Ghz band.

Reference  User Guide

Page 55

If you are NOT using Wi-Fi Direct, make sure it is toggled OFF on the printer display panel.

Example - Dual Band Network

SSID_Dual_Band_Example_8SSID_Dual_Band_Example_8

The Doctor

Run the "offline" Doctor version

Resource – Choose the right doctor for the job

Open Website

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Click the green Download Now option / box

>>> Wait!

If the problem / issue is one of

• Cannot print in Color
  • Duplex printing has disappeared

Try this “Offline” Doctor version:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

NOTES – The “Offline” doctor

As a result of repairing issues,

Offline / Color check / Duplex check version of the Doctor may replace the printer or add a “(Copy 1)” version of the driver in Devices and Printers.

If there are two printers in Devices and Printers,

If one of them does not work,

Try sending your job to the “Copy 1” named printer.

If you want / need to rename the “Copy 1” printer:

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer name > Printer Properties > Tab General >

In the top box, Edit the name of the printer (For example, remove the part that says “Copy 1”)

Click Apply / OK to save change

NOTE:  The name change may take a bit of time (a few minutes), else Restart the computer and log in.

Wireless Printing Center > Common Questions > Wireless Connection Issues

Some of the more common remedies grouped here:

Wireless Printing Center > Common Questions > Printer no longer works on network

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series 

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I ended up downloading and installing the printer software again to get it working.  However I've done this before and after some time the same error "Printer offline" appears and I have to do it again.  😒

The dual band solution  doesn't apply.  I'll save the info on creating a TCP IP port for future problems and try if necessary. 

As for running the "Offline" version of HP Print & Scan Doctor, when I tried to download the file I got this error message:

"File not downloaded: potential security risk"    ?????

HP Recommended

@sillycat41 

You are welcome.

Changing the connection type to TCP/IP might actually help - consider trying that when you get time / want to do it.

Restart the computer after you change the connection type.

A static manual IP can help, too.

What else?

This idea Unloved, hated by all who read it - and it is a legitimate checkpoint > Bad Router

An old, outdated, weak, or otherwise unsuitable router can cause trouble with connections.

IF your router is old, outdated, weak, consider updating it for better, stronger, faster equipment.

Even less loved, more reviled, not all that common, and still not related to the printer hardware > Bad Windows

Sometimes the only thing that fixes the printer software and the connection to the printer is to reload Windows.

Ignore this one unless you've tried every other solution and you are willing to do it...

Doctor Message > Risk!

Not sure about the "security risk" message -

I would guess it's your browser freaking out because the file is from ftp.

It's from HP ftp, but

• Particularly earlier this year, some browsers have slammed the door on ftp - seems to be in response to security concerns about sloppy ftp site management...  (It's actually more complicated than that but is just not relevant here.)
  • Some browsers freak (balk / complain) and then let you do what you want
  • Some browsers do not have any problems with it...

and / or

Try the download with "https" on the path 

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I just typed a reply and hit something and it disappeared!  😩  The "offline" error hasn't popped up lately.   I''ll save the TCP/IP instructions for future reference.   Our router is fairly new and updated... my partner uses Windows 10 also and has never had the "offline" error.  Weird.   I recently reinstalled Windows 10 so it is a fresh install so that's not the problem.  Also I was able to download HP Print Doctor from another link.  You may be right about the ftp... I didn't notice.

Thanks again for your tips.  Take care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.