Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Scan to Network folder has abruptly stopped.  I have numerous scan-to folders and neither work.  I am getting the following error on the printer screen:  Cannot connect to \\COMPUTER\Receipts 2020.  Make sure the remote computer is turned on.

I have done the following:  

Ran HP Print and Scan Doctor with no luck

Checked Windows errors thru the HP support site

Restarted my entire network

Reinstalled device software

Checked for current drivers

Tried to set up a new scan-to network link via the Scan to Network Folder Wizard

I can print just fine but cannot scan back to my computer.   Also, there have been no windows updates around that timeframe.  It appears that the computer can see the printer but the printer can't see the computer.

Help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This solution did not work.  What finally worked was enabling SMB on the Windows 10 computer.  I seems like the culprit to this issue was the Windows 10 1709 (Fall Creators update).  Here is the thread that solved my problem.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/can-t-scan-to-network-drive-since-insta...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Protrac,

I'd like to help!

Try the below steps to reconfigure the scan to the network folder -

1. Click Start, and then click Programs.

2. Click HP, click the name of the printer, and then click Scan to Network Folder Wizard.

NOTE: 

If the Scan to Network Folder Wizard option is not available, use Method two: Set up the Scan to Network Folder feature via the HP Embedded Web Server (Windows)

3. In the Network Folder Profiles dialog, click the New button. The Scan to Network Folder Setup dialog opens.

4. On the 1. Start page, enter the folder name in the Display Name field. This is the name that will display on the printer control panel.

5. Complete the Destination Folder field in one of the following ways:

1. Enter the file path manually.

2. Click the Browse button and navigate to the folder location.

3. Complete the following task to create a shared folder:

1. Click Share Path.

2. In the Manage Network Shares dialog, click New.

3. In the Share Name field, enter the name to display for the shared folder.

4. To complete the Folder Path field, click the Browse button, and then select one of the following options. Click OK when done.

• Navigate to an existing folder on the computer.

• Click Make New Folder to create a new folder.

5. If the shared path needs a description, enter a description in the Description field.

6. In the Share Type field, select one of the following options, and then click Apply.

• Public

• Private

NOTE: 

For security considerations, HP recommends selecting Private as the share type.

7. When a The share was successfully created message displays, click OK.

8. Select the check box for the destination folder, and then click OK.

6. To create a shortcut to the network folder on the computer desktop, select the Create a Desktop shortcut to the network folder check box

7. To require a PIN to be entered on the printer control panel before the printer can send a scanned document to a network folder, enter a 4-digit PIN in the Security PIN field, and then re-enter the PIN in the Confirm Security PIN field. Click Next.

NOTE: 

HP recommends creating a PIN to secure the destination folder.

NOTE: 

When a PIN is created, it must be entered on the printer control panel each time a scan is sent to the network folder.

8. On the 2. Authenticate page, enter the Windows User Name and Windows Password used to log in to the computer, and then click Next.

9. On the 3. Configure page, select the default scan settings by completing the following task, and then click Next.

1. From the Document Type drop-down, select the default file format for scanned files.

2. From the Color Preference drop-down, select Black & White or Color.

3. From the Paper Size drop-down, select the default paper size for scanned files.

4. From the Quality Settings drop-down, select the default resolution for scanned files.

NOTE: 

Higher resolution images have more dots per inch (dpi), so they show more detail. Lower resolution images have fewer dots per inch and show less detail, but the file size is smaller.

5. In the Filename Prefix field, enter a file name prefix (e.g., MyScan).

10. On the 4. Finish page, review the information and verify all the settings are correct. If there is an error, click the Back button to correct the error. If the settings are correct, click the Save and Test button to test the configuration.

11. When the Congratulations message displays, click Finish to complete the configuration.

Click here to see this video on YouTube.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

This solution did not work.  What finally worked was enabling SMB on the Windows 10 computer.  I seems like the culprit to this issue was the Windows 10 1709 (Fall Creators update).  Here is the thread that solved my problem.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/can-t-scan-to-network-drive-since-insta...

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing your solution.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.