Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8028
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased the HP Officejet Pro 8028 and I'm very satisfied with all its features, except Wi-Fi Direct.  The printer's status of the Wi-Fi Direct is ON, However, the printer (Direct-29-HP Officejet 8020) is not listed as an available network on my HP laptop. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@dmtex71, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues setting up Wi-Fi direct.

I’d love to help!

Wi-Fi Direct provides a direct wireless connection to your HP printer that allows you to print without joining a local network or connecting to the Internet. When you activate Wi-Fi Direct on your printer, you can securely print documents or photos from most Wi-Fi-capable computers and mobile devices. The technology is similar to Bluetooth but uses Wi-Fi to work at greater distances and faster speeds.

Please follow the below steps to setup Wi-Fi direct on your windows 10  computer.

1. Make sure paper is loaded in the main tray, and then turn on the printer.

2. In Windows, search for and open Printers and scanners.

3. Click Add a printer or scanner.

4. Click Show Wi-Fi Direct printers.

Clicking Show Wi-Fi Direct printers

5. Select your printer with DIRECT in the name.

Selecting your printer with Wi-Fi Direct in the name

6. Click Add device.

7. After the WPS PIN prompt displays on the computer, look for a PIN on the printer control panel or the information sheet that printed during setup.

8. Enter the PIN within 90 seconds, and then click Next to complete the connection.

NOTE: 

If the PIN expires, restart your computer, and then go through the printer setup process again.

Typing the WPS PIN when adding a Wi-Fi Direct printer in Windows 10

9. If a Driver is unavailable status message displays, go to 123.hp.com to download and install the print driver.

Example of Driver is unavailable message

10. Open the item you want to print, click File, and then click Print.

11. Select your printer from the list, and then click Print.

Refer to the document Print with Wi-Fi Direct (Windows 10) Link 

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.