Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer

why can't I adjust print size scaling in the options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@djk111 

You are welcome.

Printer does not scale on its own.

You need to tell the printer how to interact with the data (document to be printed).

Suggestions

If you have not done so,

• Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software
  • Check whether having installed the printer software has changed the way Quicken is behaving.

If needed,

• If Quicken includes the feature, Export the document / content to a PDF file format.

Print the PDF file -

Add the Scaling instructions for how the data should be placed on the paper.

Print PDF - Size or Poster

Print PDF in Adobe Reader DC 

Open the PDF document in Adobe Reader DC 

Click the Print icon

Open Properties

Set Shortcut to Everyday Printing or similar (Plain paper printing, single sided)

Select your Paper Size

Click OK to save change(s) and Exit the Properties menu

Main print menu

If printing at 100% or smaller, Page Sizing & Handling = Actual, Fit / Shrink to fit, percentage (wording varies)

OR

If printing “larger than 100%”, Page Sizing & Handling > Poster

Poster Printing - Notes

• If the file is smaller than the paper size and you need it larger, increase the Tile Size
  • If the file is already larger than the paper size, it will be divided into Tiled sheets needed to print the file
  • Enter an "overlap" and whether you want the "cut marks" included

When ready, click to Print

PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_Border_4PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_Border_4

=========================

Printer - Full Feature Software - Install

If you have not done so, consider

If the full driver printer software is (already) installed but not working,

• Uninstall any printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features
  • Restart the computer and sign in.

Next,

• Check (for the Printer) in Devices and Printers  > If found, Right-Click Printer and Remove -- If any changes are made, that is, you remove anything, Restart the computer and sign in.I

Next,

• If using a printer USB cable between the printer and the computer, disconnect the cable before installing the printer software.
  • Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software

Details Page - Driver - For your Printer

>>> Full Feature Software - Web Pack Installation Package - Information - Download  <<<

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Installation

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using a printer USB cable between the printer and the computer, connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Comments

The printer itself is limited to whatever onboard features are included in the hardware.

Printer brain is tiny - brilliant in some ways but quite limited.

Some printers are smarter than others -- yours falls somewhere in the middle.

For example,

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet 3830, DeskJet 3830, 5730 All-in-One Printers

Copying specifications

Review the following information for specifications regarding image processing, maximum number of copies per original, zoom range, page presentation, and copy speeds.
  • Processing method: Digital image
  • Number of copies: Up to 50 copies from original
  • Output: Black and white or color
  • Copy speed: Vary according to the printer model and the complexity of the document.

=============================================

Beyond what the printer supports (like paper sizes and types), most everything you do with the printer is conducted and controlled through the software and applications that interact with the printer.  The software and applications translate what you want to do into something the printer can use.

So - the printer is not aware of "scaling" when you print.

Short version:  Printer does not "scale" - software creates a set of instructions that includes scale.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@djk111 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

@djk111 wrote:

Product:   HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series 

Operating System:  Unknown

Software / Application:  Unknown

Connection Type:  Unknown

why can't I adjust print size scaling in the options?

No idea.

What is the context?

That is, what are you doing, which software are you using, new problem?

Settings?

Content type?

Details help others whether to answer / try to help.

Example from Category How-to > Topic Print > Subtopic Instructions & Settings

HP print settings guide (Windows, Mac)

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer series 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for answering.

Does this printer have that abililty to scale pages? I'm not sure I've ever tried to use that feature on this printer.

I'm trying to print from Quicken. 

I'm using Windows 10 Pro  64-Bit

HP Z2 Tower G4 Workstation  (desktop)

-Debbie

HP Recommended

@djk111 

You are welcome.

Printer does not scale on its own.

You need to tell the printer how to interact with the data (document to be printed).

Suggestions

If you have not done so,

• Install the Full Feature Software / full driver printer software
  • Check whether having installed the printer software has changed the way Quicken is behaving.

If needed,

• If Quicken includes the feature, Export the document / content to a PDF file format.

Print the PDF file -

Add the Scaling instructions for how the data should be placed on the paper.

Print PDF - Size or Poster

Print PDF in Adobe Reader DC 

Open the PDF document in Adobe Reader DC 

Click the Print icon

Open Properties

Set Shortcut to Everyday Printing or similar (Plain paper printing, single sided)

Select your Paper Size

Click OK to save change(s) and Exit the Properties menu

Main print menu

If printing at 100% or smaller, Page Sizing & Handling = Actual, Fit / Shrink to fit, percentage (wording varies)

OR

If printing “larger than 100%”, Page Sizing & Handling > Poster

Poster Printing - Notes

• If the file is smaller than the paper size and you need it larger, increase the Tile Size
  • If the file is already larger than the paper size, it will be divided into Tiled sheets needed to print the file
  • Enter an "overlap" and whether you want the "cut marks" included

When ready, click to Print

PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_Border_4PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_Border_4

=========================

Printer - Full Feature Software - Install

If you have not done so, consider

If the full driver printer software is (already) installed but not working,

• Uninstall any printer software from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features
  • Restart the computer and sign in.

Next,

• Check (for the Printer) in Devices and Printers  > If found, Right-Click Printer and Remove -- If any changes are made, that is, you remove anything, Restart the computer and sign in.I

Next,

• If using a printer USB cable between the printer and the computer, disconnect the cable before installing the printer software.
  • Download and Save the Full Feature Software installation package or the Easy Start Software

Details Page - Driver - For your Printer

>>> Full Feature Software - Web Pack Installation Package - Information - Download  <<<

HP OfficeJet 3830 series Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

Installation

• Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • If using a printer USB cable between the printer and the computer, connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation).
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

Comments

The printer itself is limited to whatever onboard features are included in the hardware.

Printer brain is tiny - brilliant in some ways but quite limited.

Some printers are smarter than others -- yours falls somewhere in the middle.

For example,

Printer Specifications for HP OfficeJet 3830, DeskJet 3830, 5730 All-in-One Printers

Copying specifications

Review the following information for specifications regarding image processing, maximum number of copies per original, zoom range, page presentation, and copy speeds.
  • Processing method: Digital image
  • Number of copies: Up to 50 copies from original
  • Output: Black and white or color
  • Copy speed: Vary according to the printer model and the complexity of the document.

=============================================

Beyond what the printer supports (like paper sizes and types), most everything you do with the printer is conducted and controlled through the software and applications that interact with the printer.  The software and applications translate what you want to do into something the printer can use.

So - the printer is not aware of "scaling" when you print.

Short version:  Printer does not "scale" - software creates a set of instructions that includes scale.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm almost speechless at the amount of work you did to explain everything - I'd love to see people such as you in so many customer service positions!!

I did also think of using Acrobat as a work around, (as you suggested) but I was doing something that needed to just be done, and I decided to just use it at the size it was printing out. I'm pretty sure I have the full device driver, unless that's not what came with the printer and it downloads updates that aren't the full device drivers, and I use the HP Smart app on my desktop already. I know I've scaled pages from Quicken before, but I just didn't have the time to do it now. And, thanks for mentioning the printer does not scale on it's own, in case I didn't know that.

Thank you so very much - Dragon Fur!!

Debbie

HP Recommended

@djk111 

You are most welcome.

Thank you for the kind words.  :ThumbUp:

The Full Feature Software mentioned in my previous message is relevant to a recent, supported version of Windows.

The full driver printer is different from the HP Smart Application.

HP Smart is an application.

The Full Feature Software / full driver is software.

The main difference as far as the user is concerned:

HP Smart is clever - Full driver is more so.

The Full Feature Software supports not only the features available on the printer but also provides a foundation that other applications or programs (like Quicken) might need to make sue of their full option list.

Just to make it much more complicated,

If the Full Feature Software / full driver is installed in Programs and Features,

If the Printer Properties are set to use a different driver, for example, a plain Windows IPP class driver,

(then)

Weird things can happen to print programs when they are expecting to find / see / use the HP full driver.

Don't think about it too hard -- Printer Properties is a bridge that can be crossed should it ever be necessary.

===============================

Where is the Full Feature Software?

Is it installed on the computer?

When you have the Full Feature Software installed (in Windows), the software is listed in Programs and Features.

The Full Driver can also show up in Settings > Apps in either Apps and Features (Windows 10) or in Installed Apps (Windows 11).

The HP Smart application - when installed - is listed in Settings > Apps but not in Programs and Features.

Example - Windows - Full Feature Software - Installed - Programs and Features

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_11Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_11

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.