Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 (8715)
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Greetings!

I've had my HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 (8710) for several years and have had no wifi issues until today. Printer works fine with Ethernet cable.  

The wifi cannot find any networks despite my phone and laptop finding 3 strong wifi networks. I've tried:

- Restarting the printer

- Restarting the wifi router

- Resetting the printer to factory defaults

- Manually entering the network details

I received an HP email indicating there was a new firmware upgrade for the Macs. I downloaded it [content removed] and every time I try to install it I get the message 

Cannot update the device

This Firmware Updater does not contain upgrades for your device.

I was hoping he new firmware would help with not being able to print using Wi-Fi but I can’t print nor load a new version of firmware.

I am using an Apple MacBook Pro running the most current version of macOS Big Sur 11.2.3.

Printer details are:

Product Name HP OfficeJet Pro 8710
Product Number J6X78A
Firmware Version WBP2CN2105AR

Anyone else seen this or have any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @NCN,

I'd like to help!

Let's try the below steps to see if that helps -

1.) Remove All Barriers: Certain building materials can get in the way of weaker signals like Bluetooth. Metal, bulletproof glass, concrete, and plaster are particularly bad, and marble, plaster and brick aren’t great easy. So if you’re really struggling with interference, your first step should be to move your Bluetooth devices away from these materials. That means no brick walls between you and your devices, and definitely no metal desks!

2.) Change Router Channel: If you have an Apple router and you’re constantly getting interference with your WiFi, try rebooting it. Upon restart, the station will search for a new channel. Specifically, a different channel than the one your Bluetooth devices is using to communicate. If you don’t have an Apple router, you may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

3.) Move Closer to Your Router: If you often find that you’re getting interference when talking on a wireless headset while on a WiFi call (you’ll know because you’ll hear static), try moving closer to your router. This will give you a more robust WiFi connection, so the Bluetooth frequency can’t overpower it.

4.) Get Away From Microwaves and Fluorescent Lighting: Both emit frequencies of 2.4GHz, and moving away from them will distance you from the source.

I'd like to know the following to isolate the issue further-

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac?

5.) Could you perform a ping test  and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Click Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  2. Type ping -c <number of times to ping> <IP address>. 

The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera. Share the ping test results and the screenshot with us.

Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.  Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records. The software comes built-in with Apple's macOS and iOS operating systems. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Jay

Thanks for responding. 

Below are answers to some of your suggestions and questions.

1. My laptop is approximately 4 feet from the printer there are no Barries
  2. I am not using an Apple router, I have xfinity (Comcast) as my ISP and I use their gateway/router.

xFi Gateway 3rd Generation
    Our xFi Gateway 3rd Generation offers a new colorway (white/gray) to compliment your home decor, a less disruptive LED light, the fastest speeds, more ports, the widest coverage, exclusive WiFi management tools, Parental Controls and xFi Pods for extended coverage.
  • Model Numbers: CGM4331COM and TG4482A
  • Friendly Model Name: XB7
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: 4
  • Dual-Band WiFi Option: Yes
  • Maximum Data Throughput: 2.5 Gbps
  • WPS (WiFi Protected Setup): Yes
  • Gateway/ Network Management Tool: Yes
  • Xfinity xFi Eligible: Yes
  • Xfinity xFi Advanced Security: Yes
  • Xfinity app Activation: Yes
  • Two Total Telephone Ports: Yes (separate Alarm Port)
  • Battery Backup Capability (Xfinity Voice Only): No
  • Link Cordless Phones (CAT-iq 2.0*): Yes
  • Home Hotspot Capable: Yes
  • Compatible with Xfinity Home : Yes

3. Please see answer to #1 above
    4. I am in a basement on the opposite side of the house from where my kitchen and microwave are. I also don’t think I have a fluorescent light anywhere in the house (I do have LEDs)

Questions answered...

1.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network? YES

2.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks. This is not recommended by Comcast.

3.) What is the distance between the router and the printer? ~4 feet

4.) Is there an antivirus software installed on your Mac? No

5.) Could you perform a ping test  and let me know the results? Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

4 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=50.780 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=5.969 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=45.094 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=74.244 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=54.022 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=5 ttl=255 time=52.192 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=6 ttl=255 time=15.974 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=7 ttl=255 time=44.020 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=8 ttl=255 time=6.499 ms

64 bytes from 10.0.0.102: icmp_seq=9 ttl=255 time=55.443 ms

The weird thing is that if I turn off the Wi-Fi signal and turn it back on and try to print something it works. If I try to print something a couple minutes later it doesn’t work. The printer shows it is connected to the network but it simply doesn’t print anything. The Mac times out and. Same for my iPhone. 

It’s like the printer goes to sleep and never completely wakes up when something is ready to be printed and it shows Mac whatever app I try to use returns a message that the printer is not connected or it’s looking for the printer.

I’m not sure about Bonjour but, when I delete all the installed printers on my Mac and got to add it back in, I see the printer immediately and is then comes up with Bonjour Multifunction printer. Also, it must forward Bonjour packets because it works if I turn off and back on the wireless option.

HP Recommended

Set a manual IP-

To set a manual IP and try the steps below -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->then go to network ---> general ---> network protocols ---> select IPV4 only-->apply 

--->go to wireless ---> wireless 802.11---> select manual ip ---> apply

--->Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS.  

--->then go to settings on the main ews page --> power management ---> select sleep mode to max 15min

Hope this helps! Keep me posted

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks Jay! 

I regret to tell you I followed your instructions and setup everything as described and the printer worked the first time I tried to print something and 2-4 hours later it no longer can find the printer. So frustrating. When I tried to access the printer from my web browser and entering the printer's IP address it just clocked until it errored out. I turn off wireless on the printer and turned it back on, and as soon as it connects my network the printer information appears in my browser, just like magic.

HP Recommended

Disable ad enable bonjour -

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP

--->click on Advanced Settings--->Bonjour > Click the radio button to disable and re-enable Bonjour

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Hello Jay,

I complete the tasks you instructed me to do. When I got the printers IP the browser couldn’t find it until I turned off wireless (not the printer) and turned it back on. 

I complete the dis/enabling of Bonjour and I could see the printer on my Mac and iPhone. Approximately 15 minutes later I could no longer see the printer on my my iPhone, and when I tried to print from my MacBook it it couldn’t find the printer. However, I was still connected to the IP address on my browser. I dis/enabled Bonjour again and it then showed as an available printer on my Mac and iPhone. 

I looked at my phone about 2 minutes later and when I tried to print on my MacBook it couldn’t find the printer again until I dis/enabled Bonjour again.

HP Recommended

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Use HP Smart Diagnose & Fix (macOS)

On a Mac running macOS 10.13 or later, use the Diagnose & Fix feature in the HP Smart app to help fix connection issues.

1. Open the HP Smart app. If you do not have HP Smart, download it from HP Smart - Mac App Store, and then follow the prompts to add your printer.

2. Click Printers, and then select Diagnose & Fix.

Selecting Diagnose &amp; Fix

3. On the Diagnose & Fix screen, click Start.

4. Wait until the analysis completes. Do not close the app to avoid interrupting the process.

5. On the diagnosis screen, review the results, and then click Test Print or Done.

Let me know how this goes!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.