Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15t-cs200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Laser Jet 400 M401dne W10 works very well then after a few days it stops. I run the Print and Scan Doctor and find two additional printers. I remove the additional printers run the scan again. The scan does not find the default printer. I uninstall all the printers restart the computer. I install one printer and driver on the wired network. The printer works fine for a couple of weeks then there is a problem with the printer. I run the print and scan doctor there are additional Laser Jet 400 M401dne printers two are installed one needs to be installed. I tried a couple and I can’t find the network so I just delete all the printers and reinstall one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is a common issue and frustrating. What is usually happening is that Microsoft Printer Management is enabled and if your printer is not installed the way Microsoft thinks it should be it disables your original install and installs a printer the way it thinks it should be installed. The fix is this. On your PC, go to control panel>devices and printers and right click on the printer icon for your working printer. From the drop down menu select "make this printer default, even if it is already. You will then get a warning that doing this will stop Microsoft Printer Management from controlling printers, which is exactly what you want to do. Also ensure that if you are connecting via network that you install the printer driver using a Standard TCP/IP port and not a WSD port.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is a common issue and frustrating. What is usually happening is that Microsoft Printer Management is enabled and if your printer is not installed the way Microsoft thinks it should be it disables your original install and installs a printer the way it thinks it should be installed. The fix is this. On your PC, go to control panel>devices and printers and right click on the printer icon for your working printer. From the drop down menu select "make this printer default, even if it is already. You will then get a warning that doing this will stop Microsoft Printer Management from controlling printers, which is exactly what you want to do. Also ensure that if you are connecting via network that you install the printer driver using a Standard TCP/IP port and not a WSD port.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you. The second printer is still listed. The default printer is Standard TCP/IP port. The second printer name starts with NP1B43825 then the printer’s name and is listed in the device manager and with the devices and printers. The default printer is always listed as default sometimes I print from the Office Jet 8620 in color but that is never set as default and I don’t have any problems with it.

The print job is very slow it takes a couple of minutes for the job to print.

I have an HP Office Jet 8620 on the network and that prints faster. There are two computers on the network.

Once again thank you for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.