Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7858 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

My printer repeatedly drops offline after I unplug it and replug it. I have tried every troubleshooting app you have thrown my way.

Can you tell me how to fix it?

Also, do you really think it's a reasonable solution to reset it every time I want to print or scan? Sheesh!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @6mm-HLS,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating to deal with your printer repeatedly going offline. Let's try to tackle this issue step-by-step to find a more permanent solution than constantly resetting the printer. Here are a few suggestions:

Check Printer Connection:

• Ensure that the printer's power cable is securely connected and that the outlet is functioning.
  • If it’s a wired printer, check the USB or Ethernet cable connection between your printer and computer or router.
  • If it’s wireless, ensure that the Wi-Fi is stable and the printer is within a good range of the router.

Update or Reinstall Printer Drivers:

• Outdated or corrupted drivers can cause printers to drop offline. Visit the printer manufacturer’s website, download the latest drivers for your model, and install them. If you already have the latest drivers, try reinstalling them.

Set Printer as Default:

• Ensure your printer is set as the default printer. Sometimes, computers might try to send print jobs to the wrong printer, causing the active one to appear offline.

Disable SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol):

• Sometimes, disabling SNMP can help. Go to 'Control Panel' > 'Devices and Printers'. Right-click on your printer > 'Printer Properties' > 'Ports' tab. Click on 'Configure Port' and uncheck 'SNMP Status Enabled'.

Printer Settings and Firmware:

• Check your printer for any settings that might cause it to go offline, such as sleep mode settings. Also, ensure the printer’s firmware is up-to-date by checking the manufacturer's website.

Network Issues:

• If your printer is on a network, ensure there are no IP address conflicts. Sometimes setting a static IP for the printer can help avoid the printer going offline.

Restart the Print Spooler Service:

• On your computer, go to the Services app (you can search for it in the Start menu). Scroll down to 'Print Spooler', right-click it, and select 'Restart'. This can help clear any stuck print jobs that might cause the printer to appear offline.

Check for Interference and Range Issues:

• If your printer is wireless, make sure it’s not too far from the router or obstructed by walls or large objects. Interference from other wireless devices can also be a factor.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.