Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need to install your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g

my printer stopped working & displays a red x printer failure, also to complicate matters more I recently moved & this printer hasn't ever linked with my new wifi & at the moment I don't have the ability to link with it because I cant get past this printer failure.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @frankp337 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you're dealing with a couple of issues here: the printer failure with the red X and the inability to connect to your new Wi-Fi network. Let's tackle them step by step.

First, let's address the printer failure issue. The red X typically indicates a hardware problem or a connectivity issue. 

Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot:

• Restart the printer: Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for a few minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on again. This simple step can often resolve minor issues.
  • Check for paper jams: Make sure there are no paper jams or obstructions inside the printer. Open all the access doors and inspect the paper path thoroughly.
  • Inspect ink cartridges: Check if the ink cartridges are properly installed and have sufficient ink levels. If any cartridges are low or empty, replace them with new ones.
  • Reset the printer: Sometimes resetting the printer to its factory settings can resolve issues. Look for a reset option in the printer's menu or consult the user manual for instructions on how to reset your specific model.
  • Update firmware: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up to date. You can usually do this through the printer's settings menu or by visiting the HP website for firmware updates. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • If none of these steps resolve the printer failure issue, it might be a hardware problem.
  • Now, let's address the Wi-Fi connectivity issue. Since you've recently moved, your printer may not be configured to connect to your new Wi-Fi network. Here's what you can do:
  • Access the printer's Wi-Fi settings: On the printer's control panel, navigate to the Wi-Fi setup menu. You may need to refer to the printer's manual for specific instructions on how to do this.
  • Connect to your Wi-Fi network: Once you're in the Wi-Fi setup menu, select your new Wi-Fi network from the list of available networks. You'll need to enter the network password if prompted.
  • Verify the connection: After entering the Wi-Fi network credentials, the printer should attempt to connect to the network. Verify that it successfully connects by printing a network configuration page or performing a test print.

Refer to this document: HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer - N911g User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.