Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M251nw
Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
I've had this printer for about 2 years, and suddenly the display screen is reading "50.4 fuser error- turn off then on". I've turned it off and on, unplugged it for a day or so, opened and closed all the doors, and it's still reading the same message. Any idea what I could do next? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

unfortunately all the covers have to come off to gain access to this printers fuser. Approximately how many pages have you printed with this printer? perhaps you can get to the config page via the web interface to check it.

I don't see a reference to this particular fuser error in the service manual, or any error codes for that matter. On other models of printers a 50.xx error generally requires you take the fuser out and inspect it for damage and then replace it. With this model printer, probably cheaper to just replace the printer rather than hire a tech to come out to replace it.

You can power down the printer, unplug any USB and network cables, and then power back up the printer just to be certain it's not some kind of crazy corrupt job causing an bogus error code.

If it's over 150k prints, probably at end of life- maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended
The troubleshooting manual lists a 50.XX error and does not specifically define the 50.4 error.

In this case the manual is trying to generically cover all 50 errors.

If power cycling the printer does not help, you're supposed to turn it off and wait for about 25 minutes and then power it back on and see if that clears the error.

The manual also says make sure the printer is plugged directly into the wall, if you are plugged into a power strip give it a try, it probably won't help but you do need to eliminate all possibilities.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

That is really helpful- thanks! I am a teacher and use this to print class materials, and I've printed about 3-4k pages... I've tried plugging it into the wall, into a power strip, and into a different outlet in a different room.  I'll try to take it apart and see if I can get to the fuser. Thank you!

HP Recommended

I'll send you a private message re: the covers-

Good luck!

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended
Pls I will appreciate if I can get such message too. I have this error on my hp251 printer too
HP Recommended

The fusers for this model are not something most users can replace themselves- you need to know which fusing unit to order (110v or 220v) and many of the covers have to be removed to access it- If you aren't a mechanically inclined person- it may be better to call a HP certified printer technician to give you an estimate on replacing the fuser- or it may just be cheaper to replace the printer with a new one. I will send you a private message as well.

here are potentially related part numbers so you can get an idea at cost for repairs.

Fuser assembly (110V-127V) RM1-8780-000

Fuser assembly (220V-240V) RM1-8781-000

Fuser drive motor RM1-8784-000

Fuser power supply assembly (110V-127V) RM1-8709-000

Fuser power supply assembly (220V-240V) RM1-8710-000

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.