Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had setup a printer on another computer in another room which is connected to the same hub as mine. everything seemed to work fine for a few printing tasks. All of a sudden I started to get this error message and do not know why ("A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" ) I have tried everything in the book .!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi ParaChaser,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy I understand you are getting an error on your computer 'A StartDocPrinter call was not issued'. To better assist you can you please let me know the following:

1. What are you trying to do when you are getting this error? (At start up, printing a document, which program?)

2. What is your current Operating system, Windows or Mac and which version?

3. What is the Exact model of HP Printer you are using?

4. Are you connected USB or Wireless?

If you are using a Windows OS, take a quick look here: Some Error Messages When Printing in Windows, if you have a password setup for the Windows printer share this could be the cause.

Try running the HP Print and Scan Doctor- It was designed by HP to provide users with the troubleshooting and problem solving features needed to resolve many common problems experienced with HP print and scan products connected to Windows-based computers.

Please let me know the outcome of the PSDR. I will watch for your reply.

Thanks again,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

i have a hp deskjet 1510 all-in-one printer. i just installed it today. 12-2-2015. i am running windows 7 home premium. when ever i issue the print command from any editor: word, adobe reader, kedit, notepad. i do not use a assword and i don't have any other machines connected.  i have tri

HP Recommended

@MateriPhillip,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are getting the same error message on your Windows 7 Computer when you send a print job to your HP Deskjet 1510. To better help you, I need the following information:

1. Is the printer connected USB or Wireless?

2. Did you run the PSDR, what was found?

3. Were you able to try any of my earlier recommendations?

4. How did you install the software and drivers?

I will watch for your reply.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me a Kudos.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having this same error "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" when attempting to print a multi-page document from my custom program.

• I am using an HP Deskjet 1112, installed with the default driver provided on the installation CD with the printer.
  • It is a Dell PC with Win7 Pro.
  • I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the printer driver several times...no fix.
  • It only seems to issue the error from my own source code.  Other standard Windows programs are fine.  However, my code runs fine with every other printer that I (and my customers) have ever tried to use.  It seems to be unique to this HP printer.
  • My programmers have reviewed the source code and cannot see the root cause of the problem.
  • The printer is connected directly to the PC via USB, in a stand-alone configuration...no Sharing or passwords.
  • I read the MS guidance on this message, and it said MS was working to fix it in 2015...and then they closed the problem report...apparently without fixing it.
  • I have tried adjusting many of the printer driver settings...and no fix.  If I select "Printer directly to printer", it gives a different error message "The Remote Procedure Call Failed".
  • I have tried downloading and installing the latest and greatest Series 1110 driver from the HP site...and that cause ALL programs to crash when printer.  So I uninstalled that driver and went back to the original CD driver.
  • What is so different about this printer and driver???

If I can't find an answer soon to fix this problem, I will have to instruct my buyers not to purchase HP printers...and tell my customers not to use HP printers.

Please help.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

First of all, what's with the "say thanks" links...I haven't seen that you have answered a single thing. Putting those links up is only embarrassing yourself more and calling attention to the fact you are useless.  (you are great though, at asking questions...but we don't need any of those, we have enough already thank you) I'm right in there with student who posted on 4/29/16 ...I've been troubleshooting for 3 days, getting knowhere and read everything there is to read on the subject under the sun. Windows 7 OS, officejet pro 6830 printer...shared, not shared, no password, all permissions, uninstalled, resinstalled (like 5 times) cleaned the registry, ran all the tools (HP AND MS!) Nobody has anything useful to say. And you sit here asking more questions. Geesh. It's evidently not a new issue. 

My printer used to work fine. One day my daugher used the ethernet cable from the printer for her laptop, and when I plugged it back in to the printer, I could never get it to work again...refreshed the IP, tried wired, wireless, USB...nothing works. It prints "internally" ...but not from anthing running under Windows. All the tests and tools say everything is working. 

HP Recommended

SOLVED!

After trying EVERYTHING and spending a full day with MS Support - here is the resolution if your issue was preceeded by a Windows 10 update

cmd.exe - right click to execute as Administrator

type

cd\Windows\System32\spool

enter

type

cacls.exe PRINTERS /E /G administrator:C

Reboot

Should work.  If issues persist, you may want to also execute the above, substitute your user name for "administrator" in this line:

cacls.exe....

WE CAN PRINT AGAIN!!!!!

HP Recommended

SOLVED!

I hope you find this helpful - I was very frustrated, not being able to print for the entire week.  FINALLY, a resolution: 

After trying EVERYTHING and spending a full day with MS Support - here is the resolution if your issue was preceeded by a Windows 10 update

cmd.exe - right click to execute as Administrator

type

cd\Windows\System32\spool

enter

type

cacls.exe PRINTERS /E /G administrator:C

Reboot

Should work.  If issues persist, you may want to also execute the above, substitute your user name for "administrator" in this line:

cacls.exe....

WE CAN PRINT AGAIN!!!!!

HP Recommended

I have tried various iterations of the code presented on these forums including my own varients of Icacls code and nothing has worked. Even HP's Print and Scan "Doctor" does not work. The installer loops endlessly into discover even after locating the network connected all-in-one printer and the "doctor" displays a message that it does not support my HP7645 printer!

tried each and more below....

C:\Windows\System32\spool>Cacls.exe PRINTERS/e/g users:C

C:\Windows\System32\spool>Cacls.exe PRINTERS/e/g sylva_000:C

C:\Windows\System32\spool>Cacls.exe PRINTERS/e/g administrators:C

C:\Windows\System32\spool>Icacls.exe PRINTERS /E /C /G user:perm C
Invalid parameter "/E"

I have unplugged, checked connections...well, you know the crazy....

PLEASE help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.