Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 7525
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I've read about issues with the 'fatter' 564 black cartridges and the 'thinner' 564 black photo cartridges. My problem seems to be that the printer uses the thinner photo cartridge for printing text, and it gets 'Low on ink' rather often, but it's always the thinner 564 on (on the left of the group of 5 cartridges) that is low, while the fatter one, which would be easier to replace (at Costco) isn't getting used. Can I get the printer to use the fatter one (with the pentagon, not the camera icon on it) for printing text, which is almost all I do, father than apparently using the photo black one for this purpose? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Socrefjeff,

Welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you.  I understand that you use the thinner cartridge and it gets low on ink soon. You want to use the fatter cartridge. It will be a pleasure to assist you here. Superb description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂

• Have you checked the gray scale printing options?

For a start please perform these steps:

. From the application used to print, click the File menu and select Print.
The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized: Click the blue triangle next to the product model ( or the Show Details button to see all available settings).

2. To access the color options, click the lowest selection box listed as the name of the program (e.g. TextEdit)
Will appear as Copies & Pages within Microsoft Office applications.

3. Select Paper Type/Quality from the drop-down menu.

4. Click the triangle next to Color Options to expand the settings.

5. Set the Color field as Grayscale.

6. Set the Grayscale Mode as Black Ink Cartridge Only.

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset.

This should do the trick for you.

Please visit this link to print in black and select the option for grayscale printing.Select the option "Print only black for one print job"

You could also check this link out for HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Mac) Look under the option "Color and black & white settings"

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David - thanks for the kind words and advice, but I'm afraid I'm not finding quite what you post references (even after installing what seems to be the latest 'full' driver from the website). When I go to 'Print' from the File menu I don't have the exact options you referenced. Under Copies & Pages there are a few options, but none called Paper Type/Quality, and nothing gets me to anything called Color Options (and therefore nothing to the 'Greyscale' option). For what it's worth, this is in 'Microsoft Word for Mac 2011'. Any other advice, feel free to let me know.    Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi @Socrefjeff,

I read the quick response. Please follow these steps. 

First, reset the mac printing system: http://support.hp.com/ro-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m177-series/5303438/document/c01371980...

Then add the HP printer from the same link. There is an associated video for it.

Then visit this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-7520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5199461/model/52... and perform these steps:

Print only black for one print job

Change the print settings to print with black ink only for single print jobs. The steps vary by printer model and operating system.

NOTE:

You must have the full feature printer software installed on your computer to change this print setting. Go to the Frequently asked questions section for more information.

1. On your Mac, open the photo or document you want to print.

2. Click File, and then click Print.

3. Make sure your printer is selected.

4. If you do not see options on the Print dialog box, click Show Details.

5. Under Paper Type/Quality, click Color Options, and then select Grayscale.

The Grayscale Mode options display.

• To print using only the black ink cartridge, select Black Ink Only.

NOTE:

To use even less black ink at a lower quality, select the Draft quality setting when available.

• To print with multiple shades of gray, select Grayscale.

• To print high quality black & white documents or photos, select High Quality.

NOTE:

The printer uses a mix of black and color inks to produce a high quality grayscale document or photo.

Figure : Example of Color Options

Image: Color options
  6. Click Print.

Print only black for all your print jobs

If you do not want to change the print settings every time you print, you can change the default print settings to print with black ink only or grayscale for every print job. The steps vary by printer model and operating system.

NOTE:

You must have the full feature printer software installed on your computer to change this print setting. Go to the Frequently asked questions section for more information.

1. On your Mac, open the photo or document you want to print.

2. Click File, and then click Print.

3. Make sure your printer is selected.

4. If you do not see options on the Print dialog box, click Show Details.

5. Under Paper Type/Quality, click Color Options, and then select Grayscale.

The Grayscale Mode options display.

• To print using only the black ink cartridge, select Black Ink Only.

NOTE:

To use even less black ink at a lower quality, select the Draft quality setting when available.

• To print with multiple shades of gray, select Grayscale.

• To print high quality black & white documents or photos, select High Quality.

NOTE:

The printer uses a mix of black and color inks to produce a high quality grayscale document or photo.

Figure : Example of Color Options

Image: Color options
  6. Click the Presets drop-down menu, and then select Save Current Settings as Preset.

Please check this link out for printing in grayscale also: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-7520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5199461/model/52...

This should do the trick for you. Please keep me posted.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for hanging in there with me, but I removed and reinstalled the printer and still get the same options as noted before, not the exact ones your post depicts and references. There's just nothing that seems to give me those Color options.  Jeff

HP Recommended

@Socrefjeff

It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I understand there are certain issues with the Black 564 cartridge,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you install the latest drivers using the cd/dvd that came along the printer or the website?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend:

Use this link HP full feature driver to install the drivers,

If the issue persists, try the driver from the apple software: Click here for instruction.

Application you could use as an alternative:

Apple Software Update

HP Easy Scan App

Let me know if the above works,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.