Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Click Start , Control Panel and Printers and Other Hardware .
Click View installed printers or faxes .
In the printer folder , click on the Add a Printer task.
Click Next and then, the Add New Hardware Wizard screen appears.
Click Next on the Local or Network Printer screen.
Select the same Port that your current printer is using. It will either be a USB or a TCP\IP port. Then Click on Next
Under Manufacturer option, please select HP .
Under Printer, select HP Deskjet 990c and click Next .
Select No when asked 'Do you what to use this printer as the default printer?' and click Next .
Select Do not share this printer and click Next .
Select Yes or No when asked Do you want to print a test page? and click Next .
Then, click Finish .
Try printing.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended
I have a C7180 and am running Vista, with two problems.  Problem one is that the last line on a printed page is randomly cut in half.  The top part of the line prints, but the bottom part is blank.  It sometimes works OK on a second printing and sometimes not (I'm wasting a lot ot expensive paper and ink here). The second problem is that MS Word randomly dies and Microsoft is pointing the finger at the HP driver.  Vista has been out for about two years, but the last printer driver from HP was dated March 2007.  What gives here HP?  I usually expect better service out of you than that.
HP Recommended

Greetings 

There have been a number of threads on this topic and HP has released an official set of documents on this topic available now

HP Photosmart, Officejet, and Deskjet Products - The Product Does Not Print the Bottom Border on the Page in Windows

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01671543  

HP Officejet, Photosmart, and Deskjet Products - Printed Text is Cut Off on the Last Line of the Page in Windows

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01671466 

HP Officejet, Photosmart, and Deskjet Products - Printed Text is Cut Off on the Last Line of the Page in Windows Vista

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01672454

Thanks & regards

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Regarding the last line on a page only half printing.  The work around you suggested doesn't work.  I have my C7180 attached as a network printer, not a local one, so I can print using my portable when needed (my portable and my desktop PC's are both HP's).  The work around you suggested (using the HP Deskjet 990c print driver) only applies to local printers. 

Regarding the other work around; changing fonts, line spacing, etc.  This would be difficult/impossible because the problem occurs in Word, Excel, when printing from the browser, printing from Acrobat, etc.  Using Times Roman doesn't apply because I rarely use Times Roman, mostly Arial.

It seems to me the only solution is for HP to fix the printer driver?

HP Recommended

The Deskjet 990 driver can certainly be used for a network printer.  I just tried it with my Officejet 7410.  Add printer as a local printer connected to LPT1:, then after installation right click on the 990, Run as administrator, Properties, Ports and set the port to the appropriate TCP/IP port.

I do not disagree with your other observations.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Dani, I appreciate you trying to help, but this is really an unacceptable solution for those of us that need professional looking documents and need them to look exactly as we intend.  The 990c fix reduces functionality in my printer (C7280).  THIS PROBLEM HAS EXISTED EVER SINCE VISTA AND OFFICE 2007 WERE RELEASED 2 YEARS AGO.  There are forum posts from early 2008 regarding my specific printer, with well documented horror stories regarding HP support.  You offer this solution as if we should just say, "Oh, okay, using a driver not intended for my printer is SUCH A GREAT IDEA!"  What needs to be done is the driver and/or firmware needs to be fixed, you know it, HP knows it, everyone reading this thread knows it.  What we would like to hear is "We're working on an updated driver", or "we anticipate a new driver on &&/&&/&&", or something a little more specific and concrete.  How about it?
HP Recommended

I agree with the other posters.  While I appreciate the effort, asking me to use a reduced-functionality driver is a ludicrous suggestion.  Even when I tried, it did weird things, like change the name of the printer to "HP 990c".  Explaining that to my family when they want to print to the C7180 is just crazy.  There is an easier answer: buy a printer from a different vendor, one who is willing to actually troubleshoot bugs and fix them.  I am astounded that HP could be aware of a generic printing bug across entire families of printers and not offer up a solution!  What a sad commentary on a company that once offered great products and great support.

The other solution was even more hilarious.  Since the problem often occurs with certain fonts at certain sizes, they recommend avoiding Times Roman 12 and 14 point.  Sure, no one uses that font much!  Give me a break!

HP Recommended

This seems to be a common problem with HP printers.  I have the Officejet L7680 and just bought the Laserjet P2055x and they are both cutting off the bottom of the last line.  I don't think the Deskjet 990C driver is going to work with my Laserjet so I would appreciate another workaround if you are not intending to fix the driver.

I have had the Officejet L7680 for over a year and it has had this problem since I bought it.  HP has told me to wait for an updated driver and I have been through two driver updates and one firmware update without a solution.

This is just plain unacceptable!

HP Recommended
Try this:  In MS , When you first click on your page border setup, in the border set up screen Click "Options" then, instead of measuring your border from the edge of your page, choose "Edge of Text".  I always choose the highest number of points (pts) from the text, which I believe is usually like 21 or 24.  I often choose that for all four sides of the page border.  This has always solved the problem for me.... no matter what brand printer I am using.  Good luck.
HP Recommended
Actually HP just released an updated driver (for my C7280 at least) which mentions that it contains a fix for the problem of the Office 2007 / Vista combination.  I don't know that it does, as I am now running Windows 7 and it won't install, even if I run it in Vista compatibility mode.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.