Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

See the posts above for full information, but it's not that you can't use remanufactured or third party cartridges on your printer, this is just the desired effect HP has created by making a recent firmware update. Your microchips on the cartridges, be it Original HP, Remanufactured or Another Company make of cartridge, have to have the new G3 microchip to work.

I have a customer's printer right here in front of me which now rejects HP Original Black cartridges (G2), but accepts all types of colour cartridges and if there were available G3 versions on sale, there would be no problems for anyone. HP have done the firmware update and released the G3 versions, but I think they failed to account for old stock still having to be sold by the retailers without prior warning of this and without any recall or exchange system offered by HP. There is also no mention of the version of the cartridge on the box, so there is no way of telling if it is suitable.

In the Compatible (Third Party) versions, there will be a G3 on the box to let us know when we have the latest version.

HP Recommended

I have an HP officejet Pro 8610, the black cartridge is a HP 950 setup cartridge and I'm trying to replace it with a HP 950XL.  The printer immediatly gives me an error, "printer cartidge for older printer", not exact words!  Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Check to see if there is a "G3" on the 950XL box.  If not, the cartridge may not work.  You may be able to exchange or return it for store credit.  Very strange that HP has done this even to their own cartridges. 

For many years I've used remanufactured cartridges from 4inkjets.com, and recently experienced this same problem myself with one of their 950XL cartridges.  I contacted them and they gladly allowed me to return this and the color cartridges for credit.  And they indicated that they now have the G3 cartridges that should work.  I've yet to give them a try, however.

Toby

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response to this problem, my suppiers are still unsure if there has been a firmware update and have not produced a G3 version yet.

If there are 3rd party G3 cartridges available and they work for you, please post that here, it will be valuable information and grounds for all the people searching for answers here to contact HP and get their printers working without further expense.

HP Recommended

If you pruchase cartridges from LD and the cartridges are less than 2 years old they  will send you newones with updated chips to run on your printer.  Just did this this last week on my 8620.  The replaced both opened cartridges and my unopened inventory.  Sent me the new ones and a prepaid label to send back the old ones.  Took two days to receive cartridges.  Their Customer service very helpful and accomodating.

HP Recommended

Should I try to roll back the HP software, or just trash all my non-HP cartridges and pop for new compatible cartridges (and not buy a lifetime supply this time!)?  Thanks--good response.

HP Recommended

After reading this post I finally did the right thing, I returned my almost new 8620 and told them it just wasn't a good printer and I was unhappy.  Prior to that I had an 8600 that was starting starting having paper-pickup issues (we print a LOT for a 3rd grade classroom), and like another poster we wanted to make sure the stock of 950 and 951 refilled inks didn't go in the trash.  To that end, we're now using the 8600 again after done deep cleaning of the pick-up wheels and gears we'll us it until the ink is used-up, and also have another brand of printer running in the house.  Not that the other won't suffer the same issue some day, but it made me feel better to "stick it to the man" for a change. 

But this time I emailed the remanufactured ink people and asked them which manufacturer and model suffers the least corporate tyranny.  So it's a win-win.  Somebody who doesn't print a lot will get my old one as a refurbished model, I have my old one working through about $400 worth of ink we had on the shelf, and then we have a new one that shouldn't cause this level of pain because some corporate, well, you know, decided s/he needed a new deck on their mansion. 

HP Recommended

Someone on another message board cracked the code.  The trick is to go to Set-up on the printer, and under TOOLS, tell it to restore factory defaults.  When it has done that, insert your non-OEM cartridges, it will print a test page and confirm that your cartridges are fine.  BOOM!

HP Recommended

I tried several refilled cartridges and they would not work with the Officejet Pro 8610. I called HP and they indicated that their new printers would NOT work with refilled/remanuactured cartidges. Furthermore they said that if one of the cartridges was empty, the printer would not work even if you were setup to only use the black only cartridge. What a rip off. I have used refilled cartridges for decades with HP printers with no problems. I also set my printer NOT to print in color but it still uses up the color cartridges just as fast as the black one. Ho can I use up color ink wehen I do not print in color. I have heard that if you turn the printer on/off it uses a lot of ink when it goes through it's turn on process, so I leave it on all the time. Sounds like HP has decided to stop the use of remanufactured cartridges by setting up the software to block it. What a rip off. The printer itself is excellent (quiet, fast, easy to setup, 250 page tray. ), especially compared with my previous two which were garbage. The first one failed under warranty and HP sent me a replacement which was defective and did not work. They upgraded me to a better printer and it did not work either. They replaced that one and it worked until the ink cartridge tray failed. Lowest price I could find was $64 but it was Christmas and Office Depot had it on sale for $110 less a $30 trade in discount so it only cost me $80! Of course I have at least $100+ of cartridges for the failed printer I traded in. 

HP Recommended

I tried several refilled cartridges and they would not work with the Officejet Pro 8610. I called HP and they indicated that their new printers would NOT work with refilled/remanuactured cartidges. Furthermore they said that if one of the cartridges was empty, the printer would not work even if you were setup to only use the black only cartridge. What a rip off. I have used refilled cartridges for decades with HP printers with no problems. I also set my printer NOT to print in color but it still uses up the color cartridges just as fast as the black one. Ho can I use up color ink wehen I do not print in color. I have heard that if you turn the printer on/off it uses a lot of ink when it goes through it's turn on process, so I leave it on all the time. Sounds like HP has decided to stop the use of remanufactured cartridges by setting up the software to block it. What a rip off. The printer itself is excellent (quiet, fast, easy to setup, 250 page tray. ), Wish it had an envelope feeder.) especially compared with my previous two which were garbage. The first one failed under warranty and HP sent me a replacement which was defective and did not work. They upgraded me to a better printer and it did not work either. They replaced that one and it worked until the ink cartridge tray failed. Lowest price I could find was $64 but it was Christmas and Office Depot had it on sale for $110 less a $30 trade in discount so it only cost me $80! Of course I have at least $100+ of cartridges for the failed printer I traded in. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.