Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi clh42

You are so right.

I just installed a brand new hp printer under windows 10, and I to have a redirected temp directory on a RAM disk (by the way using RAM disk increased dramatically the performance of some temp file intensive applications) and indeed although administrator group inherited had full rights users and authenticated users had them all but not full control .... changing that setting resolved the printing problem. I wonder however how the ram drive security settings will be after restarting ???

HP Recommended

clh42, I can't thank you enough for your discovery!!! More than a year after I bought my 8620, I'm finally able to print as anyone would expect. :manhappy:

Now there's only one issue left with this printer, can you solve it as well:LaughingTears:

HP Recommended

WOW!!!  I've had trouble with this issue for a while now.  Three days ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 because of another software issue and one of the first things I did was to get the OJ8630 printer working.  It worked fine for two days.  Then today, I couldn't print to it again.  As you can imagine, when you install a clean copy of Windows, it takes a while to get all of your applications and data back.

When I read your post, it clicked on me!  One of the things I did yesterday was to move the TEMP folder to my 😧 drive for the same reason you did, which was to keep it off of the drive with Windows.  Sure enough, I wen to the TEMP folder, changed the permissions and WOW, the printer now works.

Thank you so much for pointing this out.  Great find!!!

Chuck

HP Recommended

Great idea!  I cannot tell you how long I've been battling this issue.  I had the same printing problem when I migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10.   But, as soon as I read the first sentence of your short answer on this post, I knew you had the answer to my problem.

I had built my computer using a large Solid State Drive, SSD, for my primary Drive (C:\).  I then assigned all of my Windows temporary files to one of my other two hard drives on my machine, my "E" Drive.   I did so because when you use SSD you should restrict the read/write cycles as much as possible to increase drive life.  For example, I never do defragmentation and I put all Windows temp files on one of the other two spinning disc hard drives on my machine.

As a result, after Windows 10 became my OS, I could only print to my HP Officejet Pro 8610 using Administrator priviledges as described above.  But, doing so presented another problem.  I could not open files from Windows 10 File Explorer by simply double clicking on them.  The program would open, but the file would not load and I would get a "There was a problem sending the command to the program" error message.  This was a very frustrating dilemna.  I could do one or the other, but not both, even though I could do both on Windows 7 prior to switching operating systems.

So, I did as you recommended and gave full permissions to my Windows Temp file on my "E" Drve and now everything is working as it did when I was using Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Thank you all, I also wasted a lot of full-working-days trying working around and the solution was so simple..
Even after years, HP shows a completely disinterest about this issue, causing some of its buyers suffering a lot form it. They don't check by theier drivers if the temporary folder has restrictions, and they even don't advice it properly when driver installing.

Neither their Printer doctor software is able to find out that, neither when you ask support and it's pretty evident the issue chances, they advice you to have a try focusing on it.
Too bad for a big company such HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.