Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have no problem receiving faxes, but when I try to send one, all I get is a busy signal.

The fax gives me a dial tone and also the sounds when each number is dialed but then goes directly into a busy signal. Doesn't matter which number I try. A person on the other end tells me there is nothing showing on her fax machine when I try to send something to her.

The fax is on a dedicated line and no other items are hooked to this line. I have unplugged everything, restarted the HP870. but still cannot get it to work. The phone line is working because I can receive faxes with no problems at all

What is wrong?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @EvergreenMemory

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are having issues sending faxes.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

·         When was the last time the printer was working fine?

·         Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?

·         Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2rhApbO

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. To answer your questions:

The printer is working fine. I can copy, scan with no problems and can receive faxes.

I have made No Hardware or software changes on this computer since the purchase and installation of this machine

Yes, I have performed several trouble shooting  processes.  I have run a fax  diagnoses test page  and it states the fax is working properly.  I have unplugged everything and re-plugged to no avail

HP Recommended

@EvergreenMemory

Hi,

as @The_Fossette is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I have read your post comprehensively.

I understand that the faxes can be received but cannot be sent. Not to worry I have some further suggestions which should help:

Turn off ECM (Error Correction Mode):

1. From the printer control panel display, touch Fax .

2. Touch Setup .

3. Touch Preferences .

4. Scroll to Error Correction Mode to touch to turn the feature on or off.

Reduce the fax speed: Refer to page no. 65 of the user guide to know how to reduce the fax speed.

Also, you may try sending a fax to another number and check.

Hope this does the trick. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.