Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have some of the adf ribbon cables if anyone is interested. $5 + shipping.
HP Recommended

What good are the adf ribbon cables?   My documents feed properly, no problem with that,  it's just that they will not copy or fax.  I have to do everything 1 page at a time from the glass.  Which is really annoying

HP Recommended
Hi Linda. The ribbon cable is for sensing when a page is on the ADF and activate the motor. If a page is detected and pass through the ADF the ribbon cable is not the problem.
It could be a miss positioning of the scanner when you start up the machine. If you scan a page on the crustal is correctly scanned? Or it begins the scanning about 2 inches down from the top of document? When open the scanner is lid is the scanner in the middle of the two cristals (one small for ADF scanning, the larger for flab bed scanning) sometimes the scanner miss the initial position makin the scanned documents blank pages.
Last, are you feeding documents face up on the ADF?
HP Recommended

I have been using this machine for 1 year now and have not had any problems with it.  It's only the past month that the ADF runs (seems to run a second or 2 after the last paper is drawn through)  If I am trying to fax a few pages, they all feed through, then I get the message on the front  "fax job added"  but it does not dial or send the fax.   If i use the ADF to make copies, they all feed through but they do not copy.   Not even going to answer the question am i feeding the documents face up

HP Recommended

Linda,  I sympathize with your frustration.  My machine would feed all the pages, but would not copy.  I read through this entire forum, and  people much smarter than me pointed to the ADF ribbon cable.  I ended up replacing the ADF ribbon cable, and it fixed the problem for me.  I have 2 of these MFP, and both did the same thing.  I think the problem is where the ribbon cable transits between the cover and the body of the machine.  Everytime the ADF gets lifted, that cable moves, and overtime, I think it cracks/breaks.  It is very unfortunate and upsetting that HP will not support this design defect.  

HP Recommended
Hi Linda. As SteelH say it is a design problem make by the cable break with normal use. What you say about the 2 seconds the roller works after the last page has passed is important. As I said, the ribbon cable carries signal from sensors. One sensor detects when you put a paper on the ADF and other detects when the pages leaves the ADF. It seems to me that this last one is not being detected correctly, that's why the ADF works extra to ensure the page detected on entrance has left the ADF. Again, it's the ribbon cable what you must change or repair. (About the face up documents I had to ask, I have some employees that try to scan with face down, sorry if you feel offended)
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.