Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro M277dw
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Hi. In spite of disabling both, wifi and wifi-direct, my printer, which is ethernet connected, still shows me HP-Setup>49M277 Laserjet as a joinable wifi. 

I tried to configure the printer one more time with the hp easy setup, but it did not help.

I updated the printer firmware to the latest one (august '15), but it did not help.

Thanks for helping.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @matt334,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that you cannot disable HP-Setup WIFI with your HP Laserjet M277 printer. I am happy to help! 

Please try restoring the factory-set defaults: 

Restoring the factory-set defaults returns all of the product and network settings to the factory defaults. It will not reset the page count, tray size, or language. To restore the product to the factory-default settings, follow these steps.

CAUTION: Restoring the factory-set defaults returns all of the settings to the factory defaults, and it also deletes any pages that are stored in the memory.

1. On the product control panel, touch the Setup button.

2. Scroll to and touch the Service menu.

3. Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button.

The product automatically restarts.

Source: Page 100, in the printer's User Guide

Hope this resolves your issue! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks RnRMusicMan, your proposal to restore factory settings worked for me. Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

I just had the same thing happen. Wanted to share this technique that worked for me. My start point was wifi enabled and wifi direct disabled. I did not want to do a factory reset because I am using wifi to connect the printer to my network and didn't want to set that up again.

On a hunch, I decided to turn wifi direct ON. I did this via the printer's wifi direct configuration page: 

http://192.168.1.n/hp/device/set_config_directPrint.html?tab=Networking&menu=DirectWifi

Replace n with the appropriate address on your local network.

I set Wi-Fi Drect: to ON, left Connection Method as Manual and clicked Apply.

Waited a couple of mins and saw that the setup wifi network "HP-Setup>49M277" went away and was replaced by "Direct-39-HPM277 LaserJet" wifi network.

I then went back to the same wifi direct configuration page and set Wi-Fi Direct: to OFF and clicked Apply.

Waited another couple of mins, saw that "Direct-39-HP-M277 LaserJet" went away but best of all, the "HP-Setup>49M277" did not come back.

HP Recommended

I only registered on this forum (yet another crap account and password! how ridiculous) to say thanks to Redcram. Your answer was actually insightful and useful, unlike HP's own.

HP Recommended

Hello RnRMusicMan,

This is obviously a bug in the firmware. Any news on acknowledging it and actually fixing it? Thanks.

HP Recommended
Redcram, you are spot on!!! Absolutely fantastic. Can't believe that HP support would suggest to reset all settings. How unconventional and silly a bit.

I sincerely thank you!
HP Recommended

Thank you, RedCram.  This was driving me nuts.   Signed up just to say thanks.  Followed your suggestion at the touch panel, and it worked.   I will never use wifi, so it was never turned on, yet still broadcasting.  Turning on WiFi, then off again cleared the SSID from the WiFi network list.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!  Worked fine for

HP LaserJet 300 colorMFP M375nw

toggled Wireless on, Wifi Direct on, waited until it showed up in scan. (ty, farproc Wifi Analyzer)

toggled WiFi Direct off, then Wireless off.

Not enough security configuration, even if I wanted this printer cluttering up the wifi...

Also disabled EcoSMART Console > Wake on these events > Wireless Job

Full reset is not the first option in a work environment with fixed IP.

Perhaps HP will put this on the product page? 

HP Recommended

Thank you Redcram!!!

It's 2017 and still they haven't fixed the problem!! And still your workaround works perfectly!!!

I have a Color LaserJet MFP M277dw which was showing the problem. You suggestion fixed the problem in no time!!

I have only one thing to add: on my printer, after turning on wifi-direct, the wifi direct network never actually appeared. Instead, the usual Hp-Setup network was showing all the time. But as soon as I turned off wifi-direct the network disappeared!! Problem fixed!!

Cris

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.