Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
C4780
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

In trying to reinstall the 14.1 driver for the printer in Win7/64, I cannot get the installation to set up wireless mode.

At the point where the install program prompts to select USB/wireless, if I choose wireless it puts me into a loop that keeps prompting for the selection. I could get out of it only by selecting USB.

When I try post-install to switch from USB to wireless, I get into a similar loop.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@oao

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you are unable to setup wireless connection on HP Photosmart c4780 printer. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

Perform hard reset on the printer.

• Turn on the printer.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
  • Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, 

Then click here and follow the steps mentioned in the document for wireless setup on your printer.

Let me know how it goes,

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done. Problem remains.

When I hit the the following screen and I hit Next there is some activity and I am returned to it. The only way to exit the look is to hit cancel. The Windows firewall is active, but deactivating it does not help.

2017-04-30 19_32_16-HP - Photosmart C4700 series.png

HP Recommended

Hi @@oao

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you to uninstall the printer completely. Follow the instructions in the below document.

http://hp.care/2pz7XyG

Once the printer is uninstalled, follow the instructions in the below document to install it.

http://hp.care/2pz57K5

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

But that is precisely what I did and ran into this problem.

I uninstalled the printer completely, I downloaded a fresh copy of the driver and when I installed it I ran into the problem.

So I don't see how repeating the whole thing will solve it.

HP Recommended

Hi @oao

I recommend you to try running the wireless setup wizard from the printer front panel and make sure that the printer is connected to your wireless network.

Then run the setup (the screen shot you have shared) and you should be able to set it up wirelessly.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am willing to try, but I am not clear what is the difference between doing it from the panel and via the driver installation--why should the panel succeed where the driver fails?

The printer was connected wirelessly and working for years. At some point it stopped printing and issuing the error: Job could not print due to a system error" or some such and even uninstalling and reinstalling the driver did not solve the problem.

Is there any documentation for panel installation?

HP Recommended

BTW, the links you provided are to the very instructions I followed that failed.

HP Recommended

Hi @oao

Please find the steps to wireless setup wizard from the printer front panel.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

The Wireless Summary screen appears.

3. Touch Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

4. Follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

• On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

The Wireless Summary screen appears.

Did and no Summary screen appears. The blue led is on, but touching the icon does not change the panel -- it still shows the three options, Scan, Photo, Copy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.