Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Cannot print different document formats (.DOC, .PDF, .TXT, etc.) on printer.

I used some test cases to identify the root cause but without the expected success.

Well ,adding administration rights to the application where I want to sent my document on printer works well, but this cannot be a solution.

I installed the latest driver set “HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M277-full-solution-15343.exe” on my system. At the end of this installation the test page can be printed on my HP printer. Later from other application then no more.

Problem behaviour & workflow (example):

• Open a PDF file with the Acrobat application
  • Choose print option
  • Select a HP printer in print menu e.g. HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277
  • Select [PRINT]
  • Now the print job is appearing in the related print job windows
  • I cannot se any file in “C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS”
  • Stopping the printer queue will not help here

Executing the same steps from above with admin rights assigned to the application (e.g. Acrobat.exe) work well the document is going to the spooler folder and to the printer.

Btw. I went into this issue from time on as I changed the printer manufacturer from Samsung to HP. Using other HP printer types have the same fault image. But using other printer types from other manufacturer the document goes to the “C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS” folder and resides in the printer job window (printer is on hold, because I don’t have this printer attached physically).

Environment:

• Windows 10 (64bit)
  • HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Hans13

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw and it does not print document formats such as .DOC, .PDF, .TXT, etc. Adding administration rights to the application helps and printer is able to print. You have reinstalled the printer drivers and issue persists. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know if any other changes (hardware or software updates) took place on the printer after which this issue may have started. Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

Feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi,

I run HP Print and Scan Doctor.

The tool complaint that not all driver tools were installed formerly. By experience it makes no difference, but nevertheless I installed it. :Surprise:

As expected from former installation the test page could be printed.

Finally a new Printer was installed called "HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 PCL 6 (Copy 1)"

It was requested to deactivate the WIndows FW, well I deactivated it for a while. But it had no affect to the problem.

The log contains few ERRORS, but by reviewing it it sounds it is pure tool related. I keep the log for a while in case you are interested in.

Finally I can state the problem still persists.

-Hans

HP Recommended

@Hans13

Thanks for replying with the results Hans. 🙂

We could try to uninstall the drivers from root level and then reinstall them back by following the below steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.

Once you have uninstalled the drievrs, please download and install the drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2kgNj5Y

Let me know if this helps. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi,

I followed your instructions from below.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
Select your HP printer.
Select Uninstall.
==> DONE - I deinstalled "HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277" driver/application
==> REBOOT
==> Lat but not least this driver "I.R.I.S. OCR"

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
==> All formerly installed printers were removed during the deinstallation of the driver.

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
Click on Drivers tab.
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
Select OK.
==> DONE
Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
Close Devices and Printers.

Then I haev installed the HP driver/application:
HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M277-full-solution-USA_Only_16266.exe
The test page was printed at the end of the installation (not to be too optimistic, it happen all time before)

==> At the end the problem still persists.

I executed some further test case on my system:

• I inststalled another HP printer on LPT1: ...same behavior - printer spool file appears and disappears within seconds in the stopped printer queue
  • I installed HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M277 printer on LPT2: ...same behavior - printer spool file appears and disappears within seconds in the stopped printer queue
  • I installed HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M277 printer on USB port ...same behavior - printer spool file appears and disappears within seconds in the stopped printer queue. The printer react on plugging (active icon)/unmplugging (grayed out icon) the USB cable.
  • I installed Samsung B/W Laser PS printer on LPT1: ... it works - printer spool file appears and resides in the stopped printer queue

This means if I would have a Samsung printer I could printout my documents within seconds. 🙂

-Hans

HP Recommended

@Hans13

Thank you Hans for replying. 

Let's try to install the HP Universal print drivers and it should help. During the course of the installation, it should detect your printer. 

Let me know. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi,

no, same behavior as before.

During the installation the "print test page" works well.

After the installation any print instruction executed by any application doesn't work.

-Hans

HP Recommended

@Hans13

Thank you Hans for replying. 🙂

Ideally, these steps should have fixed the issue by now. There could some setting or software conflict which may be causing this. I recommend you to contact HP phone support for assistance and phone support has n option to take a remote access of your computer as well. 

Please keep me posted for any questions. Thanks again! 

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi,

sorry for the delay. I was on the road and not sitting in front of my printer 🙂

I'll use the suggested alternate path - HP support - and keep you informed.

-Hans

HP Recommended

@Hans13

I understand that you will check this issue with the phone support team.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries in future as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.